DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Installing Factory Brake Controller (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=80749)

brc3858 04-21-2011 11:00 PM

Installing Factory Brake Controller

For anyone interested in installing the factory brake controller but are having trouble finding the information you wanted this is what I have found out...hope it helps :smileup:

So I recently wanted to install an aftermarket brake controller because the only option I didn't get with my truck was the factory brake controller...ya ya I know what was I thinking. But anyway I started doing some investigating and found some people talking about getting the factory controller and just installing it yourself and thought sweet...

I got the number and went to the dealer and this is when things got interesting. First I was told that they don't make a brake controller but luckily I had the number and gave it to them. But I was then told that this was only for trucks that came with the controller from the factory. I guess they say it will have an interface problem if you install it. But in doing some searching they found another kit that is for trucks that didn't come originally with the factory controller. So for anyone having similar problems here is what you need.

So here are the Numbers you guys maybe interested in.

Factory Brake Controller (For Trucks Originally Equipped With Controller)
56029431AE

Factory Brake Controller (For Trucks Not Originally Equipped With Controller)

I just ordered kit for trucks that didn't come with the factory controller and was told it comes with everything I will need to install it. It was on back order for a while but I guess it's finally shipping out, when I get it installed I will let everyone know how it is.

thumbuster2 04-22-2011 09:40 AM

I wanted to install my Tekonsha Voyager controller in my 09 Ram as this is what I have used in my old truck. I went to O'riely's and picked up a harness for about 10 bucks, cut the end off and soldered the wires to my controller. Then after mounting the unit it was just a matter of plugging it in. Yes my Ram did come with a factory tow package but no controller.

Hotfingrs 04-22-2011 10:26 AM

Again it seems like a dealer not knowing what they are talking about. My truck didn't come with a brake controller, so I ordered the 56029431AE controller and black bezel. Easy to install, and worked right out of the box. I then took my truck to the dealer and had the EVIC flashed so I could monitor it on the dash.

Wildcat 04-22-2011 11:49 AM

The kit from my understanding is quite a bit more. My truck didn't come with one, and I just called and said I needed a replacement one with the part number. However, I am one of the ones with only a single plug under the dash, so the factory controller wouldn't work for me anyway.

I am actually glad, because for the same money, $150, I got a Tekonsha P2. I found out that the ITBC in our trucks won't work with Electric over Hydraulic brakes, which is found on a lot of newer trailers, the Tekonsha will. Only downside for me was it is not a nice clean integrated install into the dash. I am working on that, but other than that, I am very pleased. Plus, I can take it with me and put it in another truck if I need to.

RickMopar 04-23-2011 08:16 AM

My Ram 2010 didn't come with a controller, it has the two blue plugs. As usual the Parts department guys told me it would not work at all. Talked to the technician he said no problem order one and I will flash the computer. I ordered the only one I knew of, the factory installed controller. It came in and in about an hour I was out the door. Could not be happier.

A few time the parts guys have told me stuff would not work. I talked to the GM who sponsors our car club, he is looking in to getting these guys on the web and finding out more information. I told him if anything you are loosing money, he was reponsive to that.

Here is a good Dealer web site that has alot of aftermarket Mopar parts. http://www.leeparts.com/index.php?make=Dodge

MeanMango 04-24-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotfingrs (Post 507443)
Again it seems like a dealer not knowing what they are talking about. My truck didn't come with a brake controller, so I ordered the 56029431AE controller and black bezel. Easy to install, and worked right out of the box. I then took my truck to the dealer and had the EVIC flashed so I could monitor it on the dash.

What is the part number for the black bezel?

ajetna 05-04-2012 10:39 AM

brake controller

Just purchased and installed the eletric brake controller, easy install
only problem is when i turn the key on im not getting any reading or display, any help would be appreciated

GearHd6 05-04-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajetna (Post 792117)
only problem is when i turn the key on im not getting any reading or display, any help would be appreciated

Like others have said, you need to bring it to the dealer so they can flash the computer so it will show up on the dash display (EVIC).

clatla 05-05-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajetna (Post 792117)

Controller won't do anything until you plug the trailer into the truck.

cbr600f2 05-07-2012 02:15 PM

Bump

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanMango (Post 509523)
What is the part number for the black bezel?

Trying to find this too