DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Exhaust? center/offset or offset/offset (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=81004)

pingman 04-24-2011 11:37 PM

Exhaust? center/offset or offset/offset

Hello all, I'm ordering a muffler this week for my truck and I am just doing a straight muffler swap. I am still deciding between the Magnaflow or a 40 or 44 series Flow but search has given me good details on that topic. My question is do I need a center inletm offset outlet muffler, or an offset in, offset out muffler for everything to line up right? Also does it vary depending on the muffler. Thanks in advance.

erm 04-24-2011 11:41 PM

You'll want to crawl under your truck to confirm this but I believe it's center in/offset out for a single tailpipe.

therealajax 04-25-2011 06:42 PM

my exhaust guy says that its center in offset out for single. he also said that the 40s are louder than the 44s because the 44s have "delta flow" which he says basically makes it quieter than the 40s. but not by alot.

pingman 04-25-2011 08:43 PM

I appreciate the info. I had crawled under my truck yesterday, in the pouring rain though, and thought it looked like center in offset out. Didn't take any measurements though. I am actually leaning the 44 too. Can't beat basically 60 bucks shipped off ebay.

starquestbd22 04-25-2011 09:19 PM

Just looked at mine...it is center in/offset out, 3" in and out. Also, you will need about 14"-16" of 3" pipe to cover the difference in length between the huge stock muffler and a Flowmaster. I have the Super 44 and love it. I got mine from www.performancepeddler.com. They have great prices and super quick (and I think free) shipping. You click on the part you want and submit an offer. Doesn't matter what number you put in, they will email you with their lowest price. The emails are apparently automated and usually come within an hour. Got my stainless Flowmaster 3.5" tip there too. Let us know how it turns out.

pingman 04-25-2011 09:45 PM

Just ordered the super 44. I can't wait. Hope it is here by the end of the week. Thanks for everything guys.

wigbill98 04-26-2011 11:24 PM

should be a offset offset, thats what mine is. I bought the summit racing welded muffler. 30 bucks and its just like a flowmaster.

pingman 04-29-2011 12:45 AM

Just for the super 44 in the mail today. For the time being I am going to put it in and clamp everything. So my 3 in pipe slips right into the ends of the muffler, question is will it matter what type of clamps I use? Band or U type. Also, where the two ends of piping butt up against each other on the outlet side of the muffler, meaning the piping I had to buy and the existing tail pipe, do I need to have that end of the new pipe expanded to slip over, or will a band clamp keep those two ends together no problem? Thanks.

starquestbd22 04-29-2011 01:45 PM

I would think band clamps would be a little better because they will decrease the likelihood of any exhaust leaks, even though that far back it probably wouldn't matter anyway. Not sure whether any clamp is going to be very effective at holding your two pieces of 3" piping butted up against each other.

I would suggest making the effort to get it to an exhaust shop. I just took the stock truck and new muffler and tip to the shop. He cut the old one out, welded new muffler in with new "filler" pipe that he supplied, welded exhaust hangers back to it like it's supposed to be, and spot welded the clamp on tip just to make sure it isn't going anywhere. Took about an hour and cost $25-30 I think.