DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Rear shock removal (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=81048)

southpaw5m 04-25-2011 03:18 PM

Rear shock removal

Alright well I got to installing traction bars and got all new shocks since I was taking apart the rear end anyway and to cure my horrible wheel hop issues. But, I can't seem to get the rear right shock off for nothin! I finally got the bolt to move after three hours of nothing and the damn nut with the metal thing that is supposed to keep it from moving is bent now and turning with the bolt. I can't seem to get under the truck fat enough to see the nut and get a hold of it. Any suggestions from past experiences?

Upstater 04-30-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpaw5m (Post 510251)
Alright well I got to installing traction bars and got all new shocks since I was taking apart the rear end anyway and to cure my horrible wheel hop issues. But, I can't seem to get the rear right shock off for nothin! I finally got the bolt to move after three hours of nothing and the damn nut with the metal thing that is supposed to keep it from moving is bent now and turning with the bolt. I can't seem to get under the truck fat enough to see the nut and get a hold of it. Any suggestions from past experiences?

I'm not sure about your truck but my understanding is that the 4th gens need to have the bed removed to get to the upper shock bolts...

erm 04-30-2011 09:56 PM

You might end up cutting this one off.

southpaw5m 05-01-2011 06:00 PM

I actually used some mass air flow cleaner and sprayed it real good and then took a deep socket wrench with a three inch extension on a ratchet wrench and then took a metal bar and used it as a breaker to get it loose. Then zip tied a open end wrench to the nut and pulled on it for three hours until it came budged loose then wrenched the damn thing off! Took me almost two days it felt like it was welded on. Eight years without being removed really does work on those things. But got my new shocks on finally and I only drove it in and out of my garage but it already has a night and day difference in the driver seat. So much stiffer. Can't drive it around yet until I fix this traction bar clearance problem I am having...

nYmPhMoBiLe08 05-01-2011 06:18 PM

I just replaced my rear shocks last weekend and you need to lift you truck from the hitch as far as you can just before the rear wheels come off the ground. They are under lots of pressure so they need to be fully extended then give them a good yank and they should come right out!