DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Hid help asap!!!!!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=81349)

Stonednloaded 04-28-2011 04:20 PM

Hid help asap!!!!!!!

k so I ordered a 6000K kit off ebay long story short fried the TIPM it was replaced under warranty. I ordered another kit off DDMTUNING 6000K only low's and fog's this time(I live in Canada and i use DRL's and they are the High beams) I have the quad headlamp set up by the way. The truck is a 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie crew 4x4 so I put the DDM kit in lows and fogs and it worked for couple hours then the drivers side fog went out....Installed relay harness on low beam and fog still same thing....took the HID bulb out and put stock halogen back in drivers side fog and it worked...switched to new ballast still nothing....switched to a different bulb that I had from e bay kit and still nothing only both lows and passenger side fog....I find it really weird....any help would be good....I eve tried a capacitor plug and play and never helped...so help anyone?

erm 04-28-2011 04:32 PM

Welcome to the forum and the on-going HID struggle.

Some folks are just lucky...their sets are plug and play. I also have DDM's in my truck. I had to wire my low beams separately from the wiring harness and use a secondary switch to get them to work.

This is my 4th set of HID's and I have tried 7 different harness variations.

There are two HID suppliers who say they have solved the voltage issue we experience and their kits are plug and play on the Dodge trucks. I haven't tried them yet but I will...I want that switch for operating some other lights!!!

Stonednloaded 04-29-2011 12:24 PM

well that doesn't help me much but thanks for the reply....anyone else...anything...similar problems/fixes?

col 04-29-2011 03:54 PM

It's unusual to have issues with the Fog's. They normally are pug & play. I'm still having problems with my Low's.:4-dontknow: Can't get the Cap that i need here in Canada. Good luck man & keep us posted.......:smileup:

erm 04-29-2011 07:12 PM

For some, a 4700uF capacitor wired in to the harness worked. For others, they needed a relay harness. And some got their flickering problem to stop with some 25W/100Ohm resistors wired into the harness.

So good luck. There's lots of threads here on what worked for some and didn't work for others. Take a look at those, then try some of the options.

I agree...the fogs should be plug and play. I've never had a problem with those...just the low beam HID's.

Stonednloaded 04-30-2011 03:33 PM

Got it fixed...I had to change around the female connectors that plug into the stock harness lol pretty stupid of me it works anyways for now....I have a relay harness on my low's do I need one for my fogs or should they be ok? I dont wanna burn up another TIPM lol

erm 04-30-2011 05:34 PM

I've never installed a set of HID fogs that needed anything besides the ballast and the harness.

So the plugs were reversed? Is that what you were saying?

Stonednloaded 04-30-2011 06:58 PM

yea but not on the ballast, the two female prongs on the bulb that plug into the stock harness had to be reversed, weird cuz that was the first thing I checked before ...but up and running now....so do you think I should run a relay harness for the fogs as well or are they ok just plug and play like they are now?

erm 04-30-2011 07:13 PM

The fogs should be just fine.

And I get it about the plugs...your kit must be reverse polarity, which is common as most kits come from the Far East.

Stonednloaded 04-30-2011 07:20 PM

yea well they came from DDMTuning so ....anyways their working fine now..if anything changes ill post again...thanks for your help tho ....greatly appreciated