DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   scratches and rust already? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=81485)

earlzie 04-30-2011 03:16 PM

scratches and rust already?

hey guys.. so i bought my truck in November and have put just over 11000km's on it.. im the type that as im walking to the truck im looking to see if there are any scratches or problems visible.. Sadly i have noticed A LOT of deep scratches a finger nail deep.. if any of you have experience with detailing you know thats bad and its right through everything... yes it is a black truck BUT this is also my 3rd black truck.. none of them had scratched this easy and I only bring it through touchless washes or i do it myself just like the other trucks i had.. I also noticed RUST starting on my rims near the edges by the tires... my tires are filled with nitrogen.. this wouldn't have anything to do with that would it?

- I dont do any offroading with it
- I have taken real good care of it
- there was a fair amount of snow this winter but that shouldn't scratch that easy
- washed it once a week

So my question is should I take it to the dealership and complain about them not putting enough sealant if any on? then tell them to fix the scratches and rust on the rims?

jc4041 04-30-2011 04:10 PM

If it's a brush touchless then that's where the scratches and swirls are coming from...whoever owned my truck before me did that. the N2 is the purest "air" you can get pretty much....very very very little water in it compaired to regular air from a compresser, so that's not the issue.

a lot of us "new ram" owners are having issues out of paint, rusty bumpers, water leaking in at the 3rd brake light....all sortsa good stuff

Welcome to the club!

earlzie 04-30-2011 04:40 PM

ya it was just a spray touchless wash.. or id take it and spray it down myself... there arent any swirls just lines here and there..
this is my second black dodge ram sport.. my first was a 2004 she was a beauty but decided to upgrade now i have scratches like crazy n rust starting on my 20 inch chrome rims haha

erm 04-30-2011 05:01 PM

Well, if the scratches are out of the ordinary given your previous experience I'd complain. Same about the rust.

The dealer may say they have no control over how and where you drive your truck so they can't be held liable for that kind of damage under warranty. Just saying this so you can prepare your rebuttal.

mrcivic 04-30-2011 05:50 PM

Not sure what they will say but I have also heard that rust is only covered under warranty if it is a hole. There should be a good will or something clause that they can fall back on to help you. Just be nice at first and hope for the best. Good customer service can be hard to find but hopefully you are dealing with a good dealership. The truck is less than a yr old the right thing for them to do would be to fix it. Best of luck.

Kleeeen 04-30-2011 07:21 PM

I have 9000 k's on mine and I am shocked at how easily the paint chips. i have 25ish coats of polish/wax on mine so I do take care of it. Cheap paint/painting process maybe. no scratches luckily

hotkarl 04-30-2011 11:15 PM

I just noticed a tiny dot of rust on one of my chrome "clad" wheels. Pisses me off. I know it's just a dot, but c'mon, damn truck is brand new.

clint 05-02-2011 06:05 AM

did you get the rustproof and paint protector package when you bought the truck?? if you did then it should be covered. i bought mine last week drove it off the lot and the vavle spring broke in the motor. im asked them to put on a flowmaster muffler and a 2 inch leveling kit on and they told me it would void my warrenty. is there any truth to this.

tomhrrs69 05-04-2011 09:07 AM

I noticed 2 small rust spots on the inside of my tailgate, towards the bottom edge. I took it to the dealer and they said they would not warranty it, cause it looks like something had scratched the tailgate. They just gave me a bottle of touch up paint and showed me how to apply it, lol. I got the truck in January, hard to believe that it would have rust spots already.

LeKy411 05-06-2011 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by earlzie (Post 514321)
hey guys.. so i bought my truck in November and have put just over 11000km's on it.. im the type that as im walking to the truck im looking to see if there are any scratches or problems visible.. Sadly i have noticed A LOT of deep scratches a finger nail deep.. if any of you have experience with detailing you know thats bad and its right through everything... yes it is a black truck BUT this is also my 3rd black truck.. none of them had scratched this easy and I only bring it through touchless washes or i do it myself just like the other trucks i had.. I also noticed RUST starting on my rims near the edges by the tires... my tires are filled with nitrogen.. this wouldn't have anything to do with that would it?

- I dont do any offroading with it
- I have taken real good care of it
- there was a fair amount of snow this winter but that shouldn't scratch that easy
- washed it once a week

So my question is should I take it to the dealership and complain about them not putting enough sealant if any on? then tell them to fix the scratches and rust on the rims?

Sad to say welcome to my world. The bumper was rubbing up against the fender because the tiny little mold impression that is cut was not filed down and rubbed in that spot. The clear coat cracked, rust formed, and then when I touched it the paint flaked off. I've had the truck 2 months it was built in December. I emailed Chrysler, they had someone from Michigan calling and apologizing. He told me to go to the nearest dealership when possible and have it digitized. The body shop the dealership uses got it quoted and I should hear back tomorrow with the coverage.

Just so you all know, the guy I spoke to in Michigan told me that the warranty covers perforation in the paint. So for you bumper to bumper warranty any perforation, peeling, chipping, rust forming underneath the paint will in fact be warrantied by Chrysler. Obviously rock chips and wear wont be covered, but its worth a try.
:smiley_thumbs_up: