DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Cutting cats (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=81854)

brains06 05-04-2011 06:32 PM

Cutting cats

I cut off my cat and ran a straight pipe, so far no code but the truck hasnt run right from the get go so I cant say if there were any gains or losses. I've searched all kinds of ways but cant find an answer to whether or not it helps or hurts our trucks to remove the cats. I still have the stock muffler so that may help maintain some backpressure but I do plan on towing a lil bit so I'm wondering if its gonna be an issue. Any help or experience with this would be appreciated.

916Timmy 05-04-2011 07:26 PM

If you still have the stock muffler you won't notice anything in the cats. The gain is very minimal if any....Change your muffler.

brains06 05-04-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 916Timmy (Post 517836)
If you still have the stock muffler you won't notice anything in the cats. The gain is very minimal if any....Change your muffler.

Thanks for the response. I'm not concerned about the power as much as I am the driveability and towing aspect. I cut it off cuz it was clogged and I didnt wanna put money into a cat until I was sure I could get it running right. I searched the forums but all I found were ppl sayin they were gonna do it or have done it but never talked about the results down the line and whether or not the torque suffered. I plan to add a hi-flow muffler down the line but for now I just need to know what to expect from this current setup.

jcasey10 05-05-2011 08:33 AM

When I first got my truck it didn't have cats and I didn't like it. I felt like there wasn't anything down low in the power band. Especially when hauling a 20 ft trailer with some atv's. It was also throwing a code. I put on one cat and gained some low end torque from the extra back pressure. That one burned out since it was kinda cheap so now I'm runnin true duals with magnaflow hi-flo's. I didn't notice huge difference, but it's still better then no cats at all.

brains06 05-05-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcasey10 (Post 518278)
When I first got my truck it didn't have cats and I didn't like it. I felt like there wasn't anything down low in the power band. Especially when hauling a 20 ft trailer with some atv's. It was also throwing a code. I put on one cat and gained some low end torque from the extra back pressure. That one burned out since it was kinda cheap so now I'm runnin true duals with magnaflow hi-flo's. I didn't notice huge difference, but it's still better then no cats at all.

Ok thats the info I was looking for. So you didnt notice much of a difference between no cat and the cheap one or between the cheap one and the magnaflows? I still have the stock muffler on do you think that will help me maintain enough backpressure?

jcasey10 05-05-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brains06 (Post 518315)
Ok thats the info I was looking for. So you didnt notice much of a difference between no cat and the cheap one or between the cheap one and the magnaflows? I still have the stock muffler on do you think that will help me maintain enough backpressure?

Since my truck already had dual flowmasters on it with no cats, adding a single cat helped increase the backpressure and I definitely felt a difference. Going from one cat to a true dual set up with 2 cats wasn't much of a difference. If you have a stock muffler which is pretty restrictive, going from no cat to a single cat won't be as big of a difference. If you went from your current set up to a single cat or even dual, with a better flowing muffler, you'd be best off.

brains06 05-05-2011 10:41 AM

ok that sounds about right. I figured that by keeping the stock muffler I probably wouldnt suffer that much if any. I just cut em to get the truck to run so I could chase down the rest of the vacuum/ignition issues I have. Once I get it all straightened out I'll move to the cat plus hi-flow muffler. Hopefully I'll get to see her running right today. I had a coolant loss problem that turned out to be freezeplugs. My mechanic replaced them last night and is gonna look into the ignition stuff before giving it back to me. Hes doing me a favor so if he cant find it easily, I'll take over. If this all works out I should have a nice little hot rod with the 318/5 speed combo!

jcasey10 05-05-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brains06 (Post 518339)
ok that sounds about right. I figured that by keeping the stock muffler I probably wouldnt suffer that much if any. I just cut em to get the truck to run so I could chase down the rest of the vacuum/ignition issues I have. Once I get it all straightened out I'll move to the cat plus hi-flow muffler. Hopefully I'll get to see her running right today. I had a coolant loss problem that turned out to be freezeplugs. My mechanic replaced them last night and is gonna look into the ignition stuff before giving it back to me. Hes doing me a favor so if he cant find it easily, I'll take over. If this all works out I should have a nice little hot rod with the 318/5 speed combo!

Hope you get her all worked out bud. I'd kill to have a 5 speed in my truck. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :smileup:

brains06 05-05-2011 11:29 AM

I'm sure the 360 with a 5 speed would be nice. I only have 3.21 gears so we'll see how long those stick around!