DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Those with a 2/4.5 drop (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82271)

RyanG 05-09-2011 11:36 PM

Those with a 2/4.5 drop

Quick question. I have a 2007 QC and I recently installed a McGaughy's 2/4.5 drop and realized that the back is 1/2 inch lower than the front. Anyone else see the same thing? If so what did you do to correct it?

CdnoilRAM 05-09-2011 11:43 PM

I've got that problem too but with a GroundForce kit... I had jusst assumed it was due to my being a 4x4 as well.

Bnixon 05-10-2011 09:27 AM

Does you kit use springs or spindles in the front? I just purchased this kit for my 08 and am curious if I will have the same problem. Mine is the spindle kit.

RyanG 05-10-2011 12:20 PM

I Just did the springs...didn't want to spend the money on the spindle. I'm not sure if I have to cut the front springs or not. I wonder what they were measuring when they made the kit?

RyanG 05-10-2011 12:24 PM

If I could do it again I would do th 2/4 instead of 2/4.5. I don't think it has to do with the front. I think it is the extra 1/2 inch drop in the back.

RyanG 05-10-2011 02:17 PM

Well I forgot about the shackle. When I put the springs into the shackle I used the top hole. I'm going to use the bottom hole of the shackle and see how much difference it makes. I'll update in a couple days.

Bnixon 05-10-2011 03:34 PM

I have heard that sometimes coil springs need some time so settle out to their final height and was wondering if that might be part of your observation. How long has the kit been installed?

I do agree that the 4.5" seems to be borderline for a 2" front drop! I really prefer a raked stance but could not find a solution that would give me the handling characteristics that a flip kit does. I would love a 2/3 drop!

RyanG 05-10-2011 11:25 PM

Yeah...I figured they would settle. I have about 40 miles on the kit. Should have settled by now.I'm gonna Trey the shackle. It should help a lot.

RyanG 05-27-2011 04:30 PM

So I raised the shackle up 1 inch which is the distance between the two holes and now the back is slightly high than the front but it is hard to tell. When the back was lower it was really easy to tell. One thing I don't like about the suspension is the hoping in the back when I go over bumps. Not sure if I need to install sway bars in the back or what? Any way I am much happier with the leveling kit now.

CdnoilRAM 05-27-2011 10:13 PM

If the back is hopping then I'd look at your shocks first. Did you replace them when you did the kit and are they still the stock shocks? I know when I dropped mine, the stock ones had been weeping oil for some time so I upgraded to a set of nitrogen filled and the difference was night and day between the ride quality.