DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Unknown Problem (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82318)

Chiefdundee 05-10-2011 08:18 PM

Unknown Problem

Howdy from south Texas, glad to be a member of the dodge forum.

Here is the problem I am having with my truck that I first noticed last summer when driving on the highway and maintaining a constant speed, then the vehicle begins to slow although I have not lifted off of the accelorator, if I press the accelorator further down I get no response.

However, if I release the accelorator completely and reapply, then the RMPs pick-up and the vehicle continues to accellarate. I can't tell if its something in the transmission or in the engine management system.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpfull.

TxPride911 05-11-2011 12:55 AM

I had this problem with my 2003. It was a pain because even though I was applying the same pressure on the pedal the mph went down and I'd have to let off and then push it again for it to jump back up aroun 65-70mph. No lights came on however and I never really looked into it. I wouldn't worry about it until something pops up on the dash. My truck ended up going 170k miles before I sold it and is still running strong today so I wouldn't worry.

TxPride911 05-11-2011 12:56 AM

Welcome by the way to the Forumz! I'm from Texas as well so I'm not sure what part your from but if something ends up happening I can refer you to a good place for work. Enjoy the site!

kb9lsv 05-16-2011 09:43 AM

likely either that apps sensor or the vp. try unhooking the batteries and leave them for a couple hrs. reconnect, turn key to on, slowly press accelerator to floor then return. turn off key then start and see if problem is gone. this resets the apps. also do the key trick to check for codes.

kenaustin9 05-17-2011 11:53 AM

no throttle response at 1500 rpm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb9lsv (Post 526591)
likely either that apps sensor or the vp. try unhooking the batteries and leave them for a couple hrs. reconnect, turn key to on, slowly press accelerator to floor then return. turn off key then start and see if problem is gone. this resets the apps. also do the key trick to check for codes.

I am having exactly the same problem. That makes me feel better already!

Where can I find out what "the key trick" for codes, "apps sensor" and "VP" mean.

Ken

FIRESTARTER 05-19-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenaustin9 (Post 527411)
I am having exactly the same problem. That makes me feel better already!

Where can I find out what "the key trick" for codes, "apps sensor" and "VP" mean.

Ken

your trucks injections is done by the VP44 pump