DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   AC Issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82354)

Stevo 05-11-2011 05:13 AM

AC Issue

Hey everyone, got a weird issue. when my AC is on and i accelerate it stops blowing out of the vents, then when i let off the gas it comes back. Solution? Truck is a 2000 Ram 1500, with 150k miles, Never had a problem with the AC and just noticed it doing this.

ramvan2500 05-11-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo (Post 522753)
Hey everyone, got a weird issue. when my AC is on and i accelerate it stops blowing out of the vents, then when i let off the gas it comes back. Solution? Truck is a 2000 Ram 1500, with 150k miles, Never had a problem with the AC and just noticed it doing this.

You may have to get your A/C System Evacuated and Charged with new Refrigerant. I would recommend that they put new Oil in the Compressor as well, either it be ester or PAG.

Stevo 05-11-2011 01:45 PM

Ill put that on the list of the other odd repairs left to make this thing 100% again. Isnt easy when your trying to paint it at the same time repair the odds and ends, ive put alot of man hours in this truck lol and even more to come

ramvan2500 05-11-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo (Post 522967)
Ill put that on the list of the other odd repairs left to make this thing 100% again. Isnt easy when your trying to paint it at the same time repair the odds and ends, ive put alot of man hours in this truck lol and even more to come

Trust me I understand, I am working on my ram also, I have wood inside so I been doing that wood work and I been fixing my transmission, had fixed my coolant leak last week I also have to fix my body rust and have the top of my ram van re clear coated after I do some touch up painting here and their I also have to fix my floor because it has bad rust and you could possibly fall through the floor. So yea and oh yes I have no A/C Either, I lost all pressure from it sitting for like 5 years or so and because their is no pressure the compressor won't kick on. I have my fair share of issue too. I just got this van and last month was the first time it ever moved in 5-7 years. I also have a busted window which was custom made so I have to hunt down another window.

Wild Willy 07-04-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramvan2500 (Post 522948)
You may have to get your A/C System Evacuated and Charged with new Refrigerant. I would recommend that they put new Oil in the Compressor as well, either it be ester or PAG.

My bet is you have a vacuum leak as a result of a broken vacuum line. Your symptoms are classic. It's usually a simple/cheap fix once you find the problem. Does anything not work, such as your cruise control? A broken vacuum line right at the cruise control was a notorious problem on mid to late (96/97/98) Rams Dunno about later models, but I'd put money on a broken vacuum line or bad check valve. Just my 2

The check valve is under the hood inline with the small hard (brittle/easily broken) vacuum line that runs through the firewall into the cab. One (of several) purposes of this check valve is to hold the AC/Defroster air damper shut during amild or normal acceleration (less than full throttle). Your complaint is a common one and a bad check valve or broken vacuum line will 99.9% of the time be the cause.

ramvan2500 07-04-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Willy (Post 561739)
My bet is you have a vacuum leak as a result of a broken vacuum line. Your symptoms are classic. It's usually a simple/cheap fix once you find the problem. Does anything not work, such as your cruise control? A broken vacuum line right at the cruise control was a notorious problem on mid to late (96/97/98) Rams Dunno about later models, but I'd put money on a broken vacuum line or bad check valve. Just my 2

The check valve is under the hood inline with the small hard (brittle/easily broken) vacuum line that runs through the firewall into the cab. One (of several) purposes of this check valve is to hold the AC/Defroster air damper shut during amild or normal acceleration (less than full throttle). Your complaint is a common one and a bad check valve or broken vacuum line will 99.9% of the time be the cause.

Good point, I wasn't really thinking of a vacuum only because usually you would feel a little rough idle but some people I guess are not quite as sensitive to feelings of those things as I am but anyways very good point.