DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Engine runs hot while towing travel trailer (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82416)

sledman800 05-12-2011 12:37 AM

Engine runs hot while towing travel trailer

I have a 2010 1500 with 3.92 gears, i towed my 28' travel trailer and loaded it weighs about 7700 lbs, any time i hit the hills the engine temp would climb (250) along with the engine oil temp (250), the trans temp would be fine though. the ambient air temp was around 80, i checked the coolant level and all was good. I am just surprised at how easily the engine temp would climb as i had a 2006 ram that never even came close to heating up. i use the manual console shifter and kept the trans. in 4th gear has anyone else have something similar while towing?

GTyankee 05-12-2011 12:52 AM

does it have
NHDP Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
if it just has the light duty radiator & transmission cooler, it will always over heat

sledman800 05-12-2011 12:57 AM

yup i have the heavy duty tow package

jj ram 05-12-2011 11:16 AM

I towed our new 29 ft, 6500 lbs travel trailer this past weekend and my coolant temp didn't go over 204 f, but the outside air temp was around 60f. My trans never went over 183 f. This is with 3:55 rear end.

When I had my 04 Ram with a 4.7 V8, the temp used to run hot towing my 5000 lbs hybrid trailer on any incline or at interstate speeds. It would never overheat, but run in between half mark and HOT and sometime edge it's way to the HOT mark (sorry didn't accurate numbers at the time, just a dummy gage!)

I flushed the coolant, changed the thermo stat, had it at the dealer a couple times, nothing fixed it and was told, it just happens towing something pretty heavy.

I will have to watch it this summer to see if mine gets that hot, but perhaps it could be expected?

Where you in the tow/haul mode or just locked in on 4th? Tow/Haul works best for towing

westxsrt10 05-12-2011 02:09 PM

Have the same set-up as you and have towed the same weight without temps going over 235f. Are you using "tow haul" mode? I have found the rear end to be the weakest part of the truck so beware towing that weight. Make sure you have 75-140 gear lube in the differential (stock is 75-90) I also installed a Mag-hytec diff cover to keep things cooler.

sledman800 05-14-2011 02:03 AM

I did not use tow haul as i like to shift manually, the transmission temp. is fine , it is the engine temp which would climb slowly.

Otterdriver 05-14-2011 09:56 AM

I think I would start by changing out your factory thermostat for a 180 degree thermostat. By having your temprature starting to regulate early would be your best defence I think.

kraftfahrer 05-14-2011 03:59 PM

I tow a trailer weighing about 4500 lbs and live in a mountainous region. I will have to use it this way starting next month (summer season) and am afraid it may overheat. Today I did a test drive with the trailer, driving for about half an hour at normal speeds (no highway!) with several uphill parts of the road. The engine temperature went up to about 205F, while the transmission temp went up to about 185F (normally mine is around 130F for regular use). But this was a short drive.

So my question is: will it stay that way (meaning it gets to that level and then it stays stable) or will it climb much more, for a 3-4 hours journey? I will drive such a journey in a few weeks.

My truck is a 2010 model 1500 Laramie with 3.92 axle ratio. Don't know about any heavy duty package, but it has trailer brake control and receiver hitch. I don't recall there being any special tow package, but I might be dead wrong, since I am in Europe, and not all options might be available here for import.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

BigThirsty 05-14-2011 04:02 PM

Check your fan clutch. If you never heard it engage - sounds like a loud roar - it needs to be replaced. Common problem.

GTyankee 05-14-2011 04:16 PM

the Tow/Haul selection makes your shifting points more aggressive if i am not mistaken
everything else should work as normal

If your engine temperature is climbing above where you want it to, SHUT OFF your A/C & open your windows
at least until you figure out another solution