DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Weird WOT shifting (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82548)

jcasey10 05-13-2011 09:14 PM

Weird WOT shifting

Ever since about 6 months after I got my truck it does this weird thing at WOT going from like 2nd to 3rd gear. It won't always do it though. But it'll get up all the way to 5200 rpms and then hesitates to shift into the next gear for like 3 or 4 seconds and while it's hesitating the engine just keeps hitting the rev limiter and it sounds really odd. I'm not getting any codes or any other shifting problems, just WOT from 2nd to 3rd. I try not to run it at WOT anymore just because it's a little embarrassing driving around and my damn truck doesn't wanna shift. Any help is greatly appreciated.

RedRam10 05-16-2011 12:32 AM

JC, I don't have an answer for you so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:*
______________________________ this back to the top!

GTyankee 05-16-2011 02:08 AM

you have 2 choices
manually shift through the gears starting in 2nd gear
or put it in Tow Haul mode
try both methods
otherwise get a tuner

jcasey10 05-16-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 526478)
you have 2 choices
manually shift through the gears starting in 2nd gear
or put it in Tow Haul mode
try both methods
otherwise get a tuner

It still does it with the O/D off, and I can only go 1, 2, and then drive. I have the column shifter. And there are no tuners to change shift points on the 5.9

jcasey10 05-16-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRam10 (Post 526444)
JC, I don't have an answer for you so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:*
______________________________ this back to the top!

Thanks bud :smileup:

SRTB8ked 05-19-2011 03:55 AM

my '99 5.2 sport does the same thing, clean shift from 1-2 but 2-3 hits rev limiter and then shifts into low rpms to 3rd gear

jcasey10 05-19-2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTB8ked (Post 528773)
my '99 5.2 sport does the same thing, clean shift from 1-2 but 2-3 hits rev limiter and then shifts into low rpms to 3rd gear

I don't really understand it. I did a bunch of runs here just a minute ago after work, and I couldn't get it to do it. Oh well

RAMING IT 05-20-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcasey10 (Post 528774)
I don't really understand it. I did a bunch of runs here just a minute ago after work, and I couldn't get it to do it. Oh well

JC its happened to me a few times too:i_rolleyes:. I can still hear it in my head "vrrrrunnn vrrrrunnn vrrrrunnn vrrrrunnn vrrrrunnn" kinda makes you wanna ease of the pedal. Have you tried adjusting your kick down cable? I experimented with mine a little and its been fine about 3 weeks now. I'm not 100% sure that'll fix it. Now on my ram I had it adjusted to hold my gears longer with a hard shift. I'm assuming when its reaching for 3rd gear it couldn't reach past the rev limiter to grab it :4-dontknow: so I tweaked the kick down to shift a bit sooner hehehe I'm just guesstimating and troubleshooting over here:thk: since I wasn't able to find an answer I took the matter into my own hands, it seems to be working so far. Oh well time will tell.

jcasey10 05-20-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAMING IT (Post 529660)
JC its happened to me a few times too:i_rolleyes:. I can still hear it in my head "vrrrrunnn vrrrrunnn vrrrrunnn vrrrrunnn vrrrrunnn" kinda makes you wanna ease of the pedal. Have you tried adjusting your kick down cable? I experimented with mine a little and its been fine about 3 weeks now. I'm not 100% sure that'll fix it. Now on my ram I had it adjusted to hold my gears longer with a hard shift. I'm assuming when its reaching for 3rd gear it couldn't reach past the rev limiter to grab it :4-dontknow: so I tweaked the kick down to shift a bit sooner hehehe I'm just guesstimating and troubleshooting over here:thk: since I wasn't able to find an answer I took the matter into my own hands, it seems to be working so far. Oh well time will tell.

Ahhhh....Just seeing how you spelled it out like that reminds me of how it does that. Sends chills down my spine lol. I'm not sure what the kick down cable is?.. :4-dontknow:

RAMING IT 05-20-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcasey10 (Post 529694)
Ahhhh....Just seeing how you spelled it out like that reminds me of how it does that. Sends chills down my spine lol. I'm not sure what the kick down cable is?.. :4-dontknow:

Here you go bud
http://viewer.zoho.com/docs/f3a9cb