DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I've got a problem (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=82891)

CHADDER03 05-18-2011 07:19 PM

I've got a problem

when driving slow and normal everything is fine, but if i stomp on the throttle a bit from a stop only, forward or back i hear an awful "snap" sound. it sounds like its coming from around the trans or t-case area but its hard to tell from in the truck. everything seems tight but something is definatly wrong. bear in mind i am on 37's so they might be the cause of what ever is wrong but i cant figure out what exactly is making the sound. any help at all would be great.
thanks in advance

charlieb 05-18-2011 07:27 PM

i have same problem i have chased different things down but dont know for sure.i am guessing now its the drive shaft yoke into tranny a little slop or something cause the rear end is definetly tight as well as my u joints.thats just my guess.not sure an easy way to test this theory.

erm 05-18-2011 11:14 PM

That does not sound good. Have you checked the U-Joints?

brad12kx 05-18-2011 11:30 PM

Here's my vote for U-joint.:smiley_thumbs_up:

Stump3r 05-18-2011 11:41 PM

My first impulse is to agree with Brad and Maddog but is there a chance you've got a loose mount?

CHADDER03 05-18-2011 11:50 PM

ive checked for play in the u joints and theres nothing, no squealing or whining sounds. and i only hear the real snap or crack sound when i step on it a little harder from a dead stop. under normal conditions theres no noise at all. and once in a while i can feel a bit of a lurch when putting it in drive from park or neutral

Stump3r 05-19-2011 12:08 AM

The more I think about this with those 37's on her your loading up the entire drive line due to the amount of grip and tire weight you have. If you have a weak bushing in any of the mounts or a loose mount somewhere in the drive line the torque load would be enough to roll the components and cause it to bottom out or make metal on metal contact giving you a snapping sound. Usually a u-joint with give the tell tale "clunk" when dropping it into gear, reverse is generally worse than drive. Back in my mechanic days I've seen some bad ujoints but never anything that would give a snap when stomping on the throttle.
Now thinking this even deeper once in gear your drive line is "loaded" so any slop in a ujoint will be taken up. The only other thing I could see possibly happening is the splines on the output shaft of the tranny are toast and slipping a tooth at a time.
Does it feel like something slipping or is it tight and you just get a snapping sound?

brad12kx 05-19-2011 12:28 AM

Checking the u-joints for 'tightness' is only part of the test. Normally when a u-joint is in pre-failure, it is tight....to tight. This is one of the reasons they often make a snapping sound. You have to remove the driveshaft to check them. They need to feel smooth, and normally, they will swivel very easily with no play if they are good.

If they test out OK, then I would be checking everything Stump3r mentioned, with special attention to the yoke where it slips into the trans/t-case. This can be tested when re-installing the driveshaft after checking the u-joints. The yoke should slip in smooth and easy, and after about the first inch, there should virtually no looseness to it.

If that all checks out, then it off to checking the pinion shaft, trans/t-case mounts, etc, etc.

This is one of those things that would be so much easier to diagnose in person. LOL

CHADDER03 05-19-2011 12:39 AM

thanks for the help guys. stumpr3 its a tight hard snap theres not really any sloppiness. and if i take off normally its fine and if i mash it once im rolling its fine just when im at a stop foward and reverse and mash it a bit it really cracks. im really lost but i have an app tomorrow at the dealership im just really nervous if they will still warranty it with a 6 inch lift and 37s

Soccg4 01-17-2012 12:31 PM

Chadder03-

Did you find out what the issue was?