DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Newbie Checkin! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Ready to Shine (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83113)

Hemi59 05-21-2011 05:34 PM

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Ready to Shine

6 Attachment(s)
I have now owned my 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Magnum (sport package) for 2 years now, it is my first vehicle and I am very proud of it. I am the second owner. The first owner took great care of the engine and transmission. However, in the fall of 08 the transmission fell out the truck and I bought it. The paint is rough on the hood and top of cab (because of sun) and a lot of the clear coat is gone. The truck met a mountain in 06 and bent the right frame horn and smooshed the bumper and hood into the doors and frame. Regardless of the exterior I have a vision for this old truck as I am a avid dodge supporter and love the versatility of trucks. Over the past two years I have slowly modified the engine, exhaust, and suspension of the truck. I replaced the transmission with a factory reman (courtesy of a dealer contact). I then proceeded to replace the ruined radiator with a substantial thinner (17lb) aluminum racing radiator, a new starter, and fuel pump. Shortly there after I added a K/N Air-filter. The next big job was the exhaust and engine. First the engine was bored and stroked, the 360 was hollowed out to 392 with custom porting on the inlet and outlet of the exhaust manifold. the exhaust was next I purchased custom copper headers (3 to 1) to a single 3" pipe where exhaust passes through a random technologies cat straight out a 2 1/2" straight pipe. If that isn't enough I attacked the electronics next with a Crane Arms fireball ignition module, coil, and timing sensor with a unit under the steering column. I then replaced the suspension with Edelbroch struts and springs as well as a larger 7/8" rear sway bar. Lowered 3 inches in the front and 2 in the back with Pirrelli's on 18" factory rims. While I have done all of this work on the engine the exterior and the interior remain untouched. This is mostly because I have no expertise in either of these areas. While I am enjoying my little junkyard dog and the way it gets up and goes at any speed. I want the exterior to at least be clean and sharp looking. As the summer approaches I am ready to begin the exterior and possible move to the inside. I am hoping this forum will broaden my contacts and open myself to opinion from other avid car lovers.

My first question is how to go about finding a front bumper for this model truck, so far every single one I have found is not compatible with the sport model. Any help is appreciated in pointing me towards having my dream truck!

brad12kx 05-21-2011 07:28 PM

Welcome to the forum, :Hey:
This forum is full of great looking trucks; packed with great mod ideas and there are loads of knowledgeable and experienced people here.

AND - We all like pix! Thanks for sharing yours. :smileup:

Enjoy the Z!

old hot rod 05-21-2011 07:33 PM

Welcome to Forum Z
Great to have you with us!!!
Thanks for the pics!!!
:rep: for pics!!!

BlueJet 05-21-2011 07:35 PM

Hello and welcome! :wavey:

Good to have you with us, I hope you enjoy the board!

RedRam10 05-21-2011 11:43 PM

Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. :rep: fantastic intro, thanks for posting a few photos of your truck. Just bought a bumper from a business nearby - Jerry's Bumpers they seem to deliver to all the body shops in the area.:Hey:

CajunDodge 05-22-2011 10:08 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! Cool truck man, you sure have put a lot of work into it, thanks for sharing the pics and good luck finding your bumper! Lots of great people and info here, so any help you need, just ask and I hope you enjoy the site! :Hey:

- Cajun

platinuminjected 05-22-2011 02:09 PM

welcome to the forum...glad to have ya aboard!!!

erm 05-22-2011 03:17 PM

Welcome to the forum!

For your parts needs check out LMCTruck.com if you haven't already.

nerd4all 05-23-2011 12:38 AM

Welcome to the forum. I am new here myself. So far its great, the people are very friendly.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 05-23-2011 12:24 PM

Glad you joined us and welcome to the Z for Rams from Baltimore . Any of your friends have a Ram ? Tell them about us . We would love to have them . You will find this site is full of a lot of talented people . So if theres any question that you need answered , just shoot away . Talk to ya soon . Tom