DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Minor Mods: GTS covers and paint... ditched the Lamin-x (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83201)

lahaines 05-22-2011 10:47 PM

Minor Mods: GTS covers and paint... ditched the Lamin-x

7 Attachment(s)
Added GTS tail light and headlight covers (smoke), and painted the engine cover. Left on the Lamin-x (smoke) on the 3rd brake light and fogs.

Notes:

1. Started with Lamin-x. Did not like it. The front covers went on OK, had to heat up the Lamin-x with a blower, and got it to fit around the raised "bump" in the headlights. There was enough of and edge around the light to trim it and fold the lamin-x around the edges. Two big drawbacks. After almost a month, the imperfections in the tint did not go away. Could not see much at all with the headlights, even though it was advertised that you still get 90% illumination.

2. Fog light covers are too small, and do not cover the fog lights. Ditto on the illumination.

3. Tail light covers for the 2011 Ram do not fit. It was impossible to heat and stretch the product. Ditto on the imperfections.

4. Purchased a standard flat piece for the 3rd brakelight, and it went on OK. Trimed oversized and the lamin-x wraps around the edges.

5. Ordered the GTS covers and I was glad to take off the Lamin-x. Athough you still have the illumination issue, the front covers for the 2011 Ram come off easily for night driving. There is not tape or velcro. The bottom has a rubber edge and fits snugly under the light, and the top has an extended tab that holds on the the frame under the hood. You also have to take them off for washing, as the water accumulates in between the light and the cover. The rear covers go on with 3M tape with velcro, and may be removed. Did not have the water issue with the rears.

6. Painted the engine cover flame red. Did not have enough luck or patience to do the letters in black as I would have liked. Will paint the fuse and air covers next.

Razorbass 05-22-2011 11:10 PM

Sounds like it was a pain in the @$$ but it turned out great. That's a good looking truck. Thanks for the pics and the great description.

Bent21606 05-22-2011 11:12 PM

i really dont like that look. sorry bro... different strokes for different fokes

TheBlackHemi 05-22-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bent21606 (Post 531298)
i really dont like that look. sorry bro... different strokes for different fokes

I agree with you bro but it does stand out from others on the road :smileup:

lahaines 05-22-2011 11:19 PM

Ya, at first, especially with the Lamin-x, I didn't love it. But with the GTS covers, I think it looks great. BTW its nice to see a critic! I see some stuff I don't like but I just decide not to post.

Lie2me 05-22-2011 11:40 PM

Are the fog lights covered with LaminX in these pics? Or are those covers?

I think the black covers on the headlights clash hard with the whole front end of the truck...my 2cents.

The Hemi letters on that cover would make it look kick arse.

Thanks for the heads up on the LaminX...I was considering getting them...you saved me a lot of headache and time.

Bent21606 05-22-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lahaines (Post 531302)
Ya, at first, especially with the Lamin-x, I didn't love it. But with the GTS covers, I think it looks great. BTW its nice to see a critic! I see some stuff I don't like but I just decide not to post.

please if you ever have a opinion on my truck please post. im trying to make my truck look as good as possible and i want the good and the bad. if you post pictures im assuming you asking peoples opinions if they think it looks good OR bad

lahaines 05-22-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lie2me (Post 531314)
Are the fog lights covered with LaminX in these pics? Or are those covers?

I think the black covers on the headlights clash hard with the whole front end of the truck...my 2cents.

The Hemi letters on that cover would make it look kick arse.

Thanks for the heads up on the LaminX...I was considering getting them...you saved me a lot of headache and time.

The pics are with the covers. Ya, I know, its one of those things thjat look better in person. I saw the pics and said hmmmm, then walked back out to the driveway, and I'm going to keep them. Thanks for the comments.

Lie2me 05-23-2011 07:51 AM

Could you tell me where you got the covers for the fogs...cant seem to locate them online.

Good looking truck, keep up the mods. At the end of the day, you're the one driving it(not the critics)...have fun and enjoii.

JimmyNichols 05-23-2011 08:08 AM

I like the painted engine cover. What type of paint did you use?

But I agree with Bent. I'm not a fan of the covers. I had them on my 2001 and hated the decreased illumination. I ended up taking them off at night, which was a pain in the but. The last time I took them off, it was winter time and one of them cracked in half. Be careful in the winter when taking those off.