DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Wax on new truck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83638)

nikeman 05-28-2011 01:27 PM

Wax on new truck
 
I have been told that it's not good to put wax on a new car or freshly painted car. Is this true? I want to try to put some wax on the little scratches to see if they come out

Timbo114 05-28-2011 01:30 PM

You can go at it today!

A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant.
Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens.

*scratch n swirl help

erm 05-28-2011 01:56 PM

That is true for some of the more abrasive compounds. A freshly painted panel should cure for at least 30 days and more if you can wait.

Leadfootluke 05-28-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikeman (Post 535705)
I have been told that it's not good to put wax on a new car or freshly painted car. Is this true? I want to try to put some wax on the little scratches to see if they come out

Correct, however if you vehicle is new, then it has been at least 30 days and can be waxed. Another point is that waxes will not remove scratches or swirls, you will need a polish for that.

erm 05-28-2011 03:10 PM

^^^^ Good Info ^^^^

Leadfootluke 05-29-2011 01:29 AM

Furthermore, if you have had something "newly" painted, as in a repair, whoever provided the service should let you know how long the paint needs to go unwaxed. In reality, there are water based waxes that will work on fresh paint, whereas solvent based waxes will create issues. Still, it's best to consult who painted your vehicle [unless it's right off the lot, then it has probably already waited long enough].

nikeman 05-29-2011 10:08 PM

Ok guys... Save me some time here and give me a step by step on removing small scratches.. I have next weekend off and I plan on washing the truck and then working on the scratches. Can I just wax/polish the areas that have the scratches without doing the entire truck since the truck is pretty clean already? What are the best waxes/polishes to use? Do I have to wax before I polish or can I just wash, dry, polish that area?

Also, what exactly does a clay bar do? Would that remove a scratch?

Thanks

Leadfootluke 05-30-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikeman (Post 536569)
Ok guys... Save me some time here and give me a step by step on removing small scratches.. I have next weekend off and I plan on washing the truck and then working on the scratches. Can I just wax/polish the areas that have the scratches without doing the entire truck since the truck is pretty clean already? What are the best waxes/polishes to use? Do I have to wax before I polish or can I just wash, dry, polish that area?

Also, what exactly does a clay bar do? Would that remove a scratch?

Thanks

Yes, you can just polish a few areas, but wax the entire truck. To polish, is to remove clear coat and level the paint [which remove swirls and scratches], to wax, is to add a layer or protection.

Best polishes? They are whatever you can make work. Professionals use Meguiars, Optimum, Menzerna, HD, and a few others. Over the counter [best bets] are going to be Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish.

As far as waxes you may want to pick up Meguiars NXT or Ultimate wax over the counter. If you choose to look online, take a look the sealant offerings such as Menzerna PowerLock, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Optimum Opti-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, or a personal favorite, Collinite 845.

Therefor you will obviously want to polish first [using abrasives to remove clear coat], and then wax it [add protection]. So you have it right with wash, dry, polish, and wax again.

If you choose to use clay [which I recommend], you will have to wash the paint, go straight to claying [with a lubricant], then dry it, polish the paint, wash it again with dawn [which I would do to prepare the surface for the wax], and then protect the paint with a wax or sealant. The clay will not hide or remove swirls, but rather reveal them if anything. It removes embedded contaminants from the paint and anything else that may be stuck to the paint leaving the paint smooth as glass [but then you can see a lot of the swirls].

Pull Ya 05-30-2011 06:39 PM

You can't get any better advise than that!!! ^^^^^^^ In the LONG term, you will be happier with professional products. Wax usually lasts on an average of 4-6 weeks, whereas a good sealant last for up to 6 months, although some people don't like the "shine" of a sealant.
Jay

Leadfootluke 05-30-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull Ya (Post 537194)
You can't get any better advise than that!!! ^^^^^^^ In the LONG term, you will be happier with professional products. Wax usually lasts on an average of 4-6 weeks, whereas a good sealant last for up to 6 months, although some people don't like the "shine" of a sealant.
Jay

Thanks Jay

Although I do personal vehicles and friends vehicles, most of my products are professional line. The Meguairs concentrated APC makes 10 gallons of medium/strong APC for about $13, so you're talking less than $1.50 a gallon once diluted. The Collinite 845 wax that I use all the time is between $12 and $15 and will wax a couple dozen vehicles. In the end, I find it to be FAR more economical to invest in GOOD detailing products. Not only do they perform better, but they are actually cheaper because they last a lot longer [even to the weekend warrior].


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger