DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Real world info on programmer (esp Superchips) for 2006 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83645)

starquestbd22 05-28-2011 01:58 PM

Real world info on programmer (esp Superchips) for 2006

I am considering a programmer to try to pep up my 2006 4.7 Ram. I was leaning towards the Diablo Predator but have read that the Superchips is better for the 4.7. I have a K&N drop in and am probably going to get an Airaid MIT to replace the stock intake tube and resonator. Also have Flowmaster Super 44 muffler only.

My question is am I going to notice a real difference with what I have by programming a 91 octane tune (and switching from 87 to 91 octane obviously)? That's about all I'm interested in messing with.

I have read several opinions on programmers on the newer 4.7s but was especially hoping for someone who has a programmer on the older and sadly weaker 4.7 like mine.

Thanks!!!

erm 05-28-2011 02:09 PM

Sorry...don't have a 4.7L to show you results from.

You can see my before and after tuner install dyno results on page 2 of my Ram Mods link below if it of interest to you.

starquestbd22 05-28-2011 10:03 PM

Thanks for the post. I would give $300-400 for that much horsepower several times over, lol. I have read that a tuner really wakes up the hemi and even the newer 4.7 but haven't seen too much about the older ones like mine.

erm 05-28-2011 10:17 PM

Well, you have a lower HP base to start with with your 4.7L but it does make a difference in that engine.

Good luck with your decision.

marshallsmith44 05-28-2011 10:37 PM

let us know what you decide to get and your results, im kind of in the same boat as you, but im leaning alot more toward diablo, i had superchips on my last truck (chevy avalanche) and i wasnt very impressed not saying its a bad product or anything though just didnt have some of the features, the updateable tunes never worked and i couldnt feel any difference with the performance 91 tune

starquestbd22 05-29-2011 09:30 AM

Yeah, I will update but it may be a while until I find the cash, lol. I read most everything I could find and just remember reading a couple of times that the Superchips was better for the 4.7. But overall I think I would prefer the Predator too. Plus, it's a little cheaper I think.

snrusnak 05-30-2011 08:36 AM

I know I have the newer 4.7L, but I really like the superchips. They have great customer support also. I'm near their facility and am having an issue with the electric fan so they are taking my truck next week for a day to fix it, and are giving me a rental and a tank of gas, can't beat that. I'm not saying diablo is bad, but I've had no experience with it. I know several people running superchips on their vehicles and they love it. Two of my friends ran superchips over 100k miles, racing at the track once a month or so, and run their cars pretty hard, and they still have had no issues, that's what convinced me to buy my superchips, I new it was safe. You won't be disappointed whichever one you get, where else can you pick up that much hp for less than $400...no where! lol You'll pick up 18hp and 20ftlb max gain at the wheels with your model. Not sure if diablo posts their numbers online???

marshallsmith44 05-30-2011 08:57 AM

That's a pretty good gain, I haven't seen any thing online about Exact gains on the 4.7 with diablo. That would be good to know though.

starquestbd22 05-30-2011 09:43 AM

I think I saw those numbers on the autoanything website (bout the cheapest place I've found so far) but I'm always a little skeptical about what the manufacturer publishes. I've read a few stories about people installing a new tune and not being able to tell a difference at all. I'm not racing my truck. I just want maybe a little more pep that I can feel and better driveability so if it's not a difference I can tell by driving then it isn't really worth it to me.

snrusnak 05-31-2011 11:36 AM

Don't be skeptical, it is real. Some of this "chips" are scams, but superchips and diablosport I can say from experience are great products. I know for a fact that superchips dyno tests all their products.