DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Frames (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83734)

2011 05-29-2011 04:04 PM

Frames

Okay so I still haven't picked my truck up yet, I was going to on leave but there was an issue with being able to paint it or somthing, but I was able to look at and drive a comprable truck. As I was looking at it I noticed that the frame was merely painted black, unlike chevy trucks which have the tacky grease all over the frame. Are there any issues with rust with ram trucks, I heard the horror stories about the chrome bumpers and thankfully I ordered a painted greyish one so I think I will be okay there unless some one else has a diffrent experiance. Also the underside of the bed and cab looked as if it is susceptible to rust. Due to the truck being black and I belive that the issue with having it painted was that the paint was inferior are there issues with rust on the outside now? It may seem as thought that rust is my only concern but I have had some bad experiances with rust in the past so I don't want my first new truck to have issues with it right off the bat.

Ben616 05-29-2011 07:18 PM

You might check and see if the issue isnt that they have no more pigment for black paint due to the problems in Japan.

GTyankee 05-29-2011 07:50 PM

If you ordered it in Brilliant Black, they have to wait on it to be shipped from Japan, they almost ran out of it & other nicer colors

as to the rusting, it depends on where you live
the dealer can get the Ram under coated, or you may get it cheaper some where else, you can call around & get pricesyou can buy under coating in spray cans from auto parts stores, if you want to DIY
some Canadians get it oil sprayed, company called KROWN rust proofing
it doesn't dry & if you have it done, & you slide underneath with good clothes on ......

LeKy411 05-29-2011 09:47 PM

I've lived in Chicago all my life and the rust isn't an issue on the frames even though we use large amounts of salt in the winter. I've never had the under body rust proofed. No real issues. Usually around here the sheet metal underneath the doors is the first thing to rust through I am not sure if rust proofing would really prevent that.

As for the Chrome bumpers, this happens especially when you get rock and stone chips that begin to oxidize. Its not really rust just oxidation. I've seen Suburbans with chrome bumpers that look like they were sprayed with an reddish paint because all the chrome chipped off.

2011 05-30-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

the dealer can get the Ram under coated, or you may get it cheaper some where else, you can call around & get pricesyou can buy under coating in spray cans from auto parts stores, if you want to DIY
some Canadians get it oil sprayed, company called KROWN rust proofing
I think that the oil undercoating sounds pretty good does anyone know if there are any companies around the NH area that provide such a service?

erm 05-30-2011 01:11 PM

Good luck with the undercoating and I agree, KROWN is good stuff!