DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Today's project - Replacement Dash (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83746)

spacejunkie 05-29-2011 08:41 PM

Today's project - Replacement Dash

6 Attachment(s)
Here's the starting point,Attachment 18542
and after 15 minutes of tear out,Attachment 18543Attachment 18544
I found a good dash at a pick-n-pull, except it was red. 25.00 for that and another 25.00 for 2 cans of primer and 3 cans of grey. Spent a couple days applying that and 2 coats of clear.
My 14 year old and I spent another hour installing it today. I did leave out the dozen screws located above the glove box. We used 2 sided 3-m foam tape there in the hopes it would give a little flex and not crack. And heres the finished project!Attachment 18545Attachment 18546
Next up is recovering the headliner... Stay tuned....Attachment 18547

GTyankee 05-29-2011 08:58 PM

nice job :)

most of the reason the original dash cracked, from my understanding, is that the screws were tightened just a bit too much & didn't allow for any flex. That & the sun did the rest

brad12kx 05-30-2011 01:40 AM

Nice Job! The old dash altered the definition of 'cracked' a bit. :)

erm 05-30-2011 02:19 PM

That looks great! Nice work!!!

BroncoLee 06-18-2011 03:53 PM

Great work. I need to do both of these projects on my '96 as well. How hard were they to get out? I doubt I can find a used dash that's together around here with this Texas heat. (I'm close to Houston.) Not sure of anyone that sells a new one other than Dodge...

Where are you getting the material to recover the top?

spacejunkie 06-21-2011 03:38 AM

Replacement dash

I found the replacement dash at a local pick-n-pull salvage yard. Took about an hour of cursing and effort to get it out without breaking it. If my brother hadn't been with me, I would have just ordered one of the ABS dash covers for it for about 140.00, But with his help we were able to get it out and it only cost me 35.00 plus about 30.00 for the paint.
For the headliner, I used some velour fabric from a fabric store. The problem is that it is a very heavy material and didn't last very long, it started sagging within 48 hours. I have since scrapped the velour and had a professional redo it with a high grade auto fabric, going to install that this weekend. Next will be the door panel fabric.
Bill in SLC

BroncoLee 06-21-2011 10:17 AM

I may try and go look at the yards to see if I can find a dash. Other option for me would be to buy a new factory dash new for around $255.

I need to do my headliner too but likely can wait for that. How much did it cost to have a pro do the headliner with you taking it out? (Or did you take it back out?)

Thanks,

Lee

97 5.9 MAG 06-22-2011 06:01 PM

That looks sweet man. Mine is cracked terribly and now with the level kit everytime u hit a bump it just cracks more and rattles like you wouldnt believe! lol With the dash caps dosent that just get glued on to the origonal dash?? Has anyone had luck with that? I thought about a new dash because my cup holder brackets are broken and so is my fog and od button brackets... Any thoughts on a 98 conversion??

bamamopar 06-25-2011 05:55 PM

dang that looks pretty good i gotta do that to mine bad

flacrkr1ton 06-25-2011 07:43 PM

I gotta do mine also however i found a fiberglass reproduction on e bay same prices as the abs ones but glass don't figure it'll crack again,genos has the replacements for 3 somthin income tax time will be orderin a dash and replacing the ac evap and heater core.