DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Integrated Brake Controller (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83802)

DavidH 05-30-2011 01:44 PM

Integrated Brake Controller

I saw the 22 page thread in the help section for installing the 2010 brake controller on a 2010 Ram by Netman66. I have been looking under the dash and located several of the wires (pink w/ light green stripe, as well as a white w/ green stripe). What I did not see was a white w/ blue stripe except for the twisted pair that a detailed article by Ken99. In that write up, it said to stay away from the twisted pair of wires (one white w/ blue and one white w/ green) because they went to the OBDC. So I am stumped as to where this last wire is at. I've been pouring through the internet and found this: http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...unications.pdf

The twisted pair has the same circuit numbers as the instructions by Ken99. Does anyone have any clue whether this would work?

Note: I have a 2009 Ram and I've already been to 2 dealers in town who have no clue.

RedRam10 05-30-2011 04:42 PM

Hi, I don't have an answer so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:........... this back to the top!

Have you tried to PM the original posters for a response?

rick980 05-31-2011 05:33 PM

I am surprised this is still an issue, I should have known there would be someone who would not give up. I have been working on this too and cannot figure out why it wont' work. the four wires that would plug into the plug connector we have on the 09 are easier to figure out but the others....I am not sure even if the colours on the manual are correct meaning manual the online one. Well if you get it working please pm me I will do the same.

Netman66 06-01-2011 09:45 AM

Before you cut and splice anything, simply plug that wire into the ODB2 connector where that wire lives and see if it works. If so, make the connection permanent.

If Bodybuilder says it's the same circuit, I can't imagine it wouldn't work.

thumbuster2 06-02-2011 07:27 AM

I installed a Tekonsha Voyager in my 09. I did have to pick up a short harness and solder/splice it to the controller then just plugged it in. It works great as it did in the GMC it was in before.

DavidH 06-04-2011 10:30 PM

I temporarily hooked up an aftermarket controller and it works fine. I like the OEM look better. I think I'll try Netman's suggestion and see what happens.

thumbuster2 06-05-2011 11:37 AM

Just hook onto my kampah to head to Maine tomorrow. Hauled it 6 miles to be closer and it pulls it with no effort at all so I am not the least worried bout the "high" gear ratio of the rear. My old GMC pulled it down here without much problems and that old 350 didn't produce the horses nor the torque this hemi does to I'm not worried bout heading north. will try to catch up with ya'll when time and connection allows.

rick980 06-16-2011 01:10 AM

That is funny everyone is worried about how much their HEMI can pull, I used to pull unrated trailers and stuff with old 79 chevy's , would have been Dodge if I had one. They were not as easy to find used. A 350 only had 180 HP Now I think just that alone would at least count for something. That HEMI should pull a good amount no matter what gears.

DavidH 07-17-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidH (Post 537059)
I saw the 22 page thread in the help section for installing the 2010 brake controller on a 2010 Ram by Netman66. I have been looking under the dash and located several of the wires (pink w/ light green stripe, as well as a white w/ green stripe). What I did not see was a white w/ blue stripe except for the twisted pair that a detailed article by Ken99. In that write up, it said to stay away from the twisted pair of wires (one white w/ blue and one white w/ green) because they went to the OBDC. So I am stumped as to where this last wire is at. I've been pouring through the internet and found this: http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...unications.pdf

The twisted pair has the same circuit numbers as the instructions by Ken99. Does anyone have any clue whether this would work?

Note: I have a 2009 Ram and I've already been to 2 dealers in town who have no clue.

UPDATE: I used the twisted pair (white w/ blue stripe and the white w/ green stripe) that goes to the OBD2 connector. The controller now works (at least sitting in my driveway hooked up to my camper). I haven't towed anything with it yet to thoroughly test it. Now a couple of questions loom and if there is a tech on here that may be able to help it would be great. I don't have any fault codes or messages on the EVIC so I wonder if it will show a CANBUS error if the dealer hooks up to it. Also, does anyone know if there was a build code for the brake controller for a 2009 Ram? I saw the code in the above referenced post for a 2010 Ram but wondered if it was the same.
Also, will I void any warranties for hooking this up myself?

rick980 07-17-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidH (Post 570240)
UPDATE: I used the twisted pair (white w/ blue stripe and the white w/ green stripe) that goes to the OBD2 connector. The controller now works (at least sitting in my driveway hooked up to my camper). I haven't towed anything with it yet to thoroughly test it. Now a couple of questions loom and if there is a tech on here that may be able to help it would be great. I don't have any fault codes or messages on the EVIC so I wonder if it will show a CANBUS error if the dealer hooks up to it. Also, does anyone know if there was a build code for the brake controller for a 2009 Ram? I saw the code in the above referenced post for a 2010 Ram but wondered if it was the same.
Also, will I void any warranties for hooking this up myself?

Okay correct me if I am wrong you now have a factory trailer braker working on on 09 RAM or is it a 10?