DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Changed water pump/engine knocks (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84109)

Quiet Lunatic 06-03-2011 02:00 PM

Changed water pump/engine knocks

I did a quick search and didn't find anything so here's what I did. I have a 96 Ram 1500 with a 318. It has about 85K on it. It was my Dad's truck and when he passed away I bought it form the estate. It was very well taken care of when Dad had it. I only put a few thousand miles a year on it, so it sets alot. I went to the dump and it over heated, luckily I know the guys at the dump well enough that they gave me 2 gallons of antifreeze to get home. Pulled the water pump and it was rusty but looked ok. Pulled the thermostat and it was packed solid with rust. Put on a new pum and thermostat. While I was at it I put in new plugs, wires and air filter. I started it up and I have a knock. Relatively slow steady knock. It does increase when reved up, but it's not a fast sound like the impellers hitting or the fan hitting the shroud. I checked to see if I might have crossed a couple plug wires, but they are ok. Any Ideas? Thanks, Joe.

RedRam10 06-03-2011 11:10 PM

Was the water pump new? Did you do a complete flush of the system? Have you checked the oil for traces of antifreeze, cloudiness?

deanthecrabman 06-03-2011 11:30 PM

Any bubbles through the overflow or rad?

Quiet Lunatic 06-03-2011 11:49 PM

I had a feeling it would be simple and I think we found it. My buddy came over and watched the engine as I started and revved it a little. He said he could see the serpentine tensioner jumping in time with the knocks. We stuck a wooden shaft on the tensioner and you could hear all kinds of grinding and clanking. Took the belt off and all is smooth and quiet. I'll put a new tensioner on first thing in the morning, and I hope that's it. It's funny how something kinda sticking off to one side of the engine can make noise and it will transfer to the other side of the engine, louder than where the bad part actyually is , Joe.

RedRam10 06-04-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rarefish383 (Post 540444)
I had a feeling it would be simple and I think we found it. My buddy came over and watched the engine as I started and revved it a little. He said he could see the serpentine tensioner jumping in time with the knocks. We stuck a wooden shaft on the tensioner and you could hear all kinds of grinding and clanking. Took the belt off and all is smooth and quiet. I'll put a new tensioner on first thing in the morning, and I hope that's it. It's funny how something kinda sticking off to one side of the engine can make noise and it will transfer to the other side of the engine, louder than where the bad part actyually is , Joe.

Be sure to update us and let us know how it goes.

Quiet Lunatic 06-04-2011 09:29 AM

Unbeilvable, that was it, surpentine tensioner. Put the new belt on with the water pump change. I guess it was the weak link. That thing was making a rythmic knock that sounded like a small hammer rapping on the center of the front of the engine. When we stuck a wooded ax handle on the tensioner and put it to our ear it sounded like a bearing growling and a bunch of big bolts rattling in a coffee tin, nothing like the sound standing next to the truck. Now it's out in the garage running smoth as silk, Joe.