DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   K&N Filter / CAI - Dealer Provided... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84274)

Cthulhu 06-05-2011 10:15 PM

K&N Filter / CAI - Dealer Provided...

Hello!

I bought my 2006 3500 CTD last year about this time. It was a lease return, and was sold to me with a K&N CAI. I'm wondering what to do? I've heard they are a liability to the turbo.

Do I...

1) Leave the CAI and try to pass any liability on to the dealer for providing it as such?
2) Replace it with a different CAI? If so, which one?

Your advise/suggestions are appreciated.

erm 06-05-2011 10:25 PM

I have not heard that a CAI is a liability to the turbo. It just introduces a bit more air to the system.

The danger to a turbo is overfueling the engine, thereby raising exhaust gas temperature (EGT) and melting the turbo.

Stangshcky12 06-05-2011 11:12 PM

I've also never heard of any problems caused by putting a CAI on a Cummins.

Cthulhu 06-05-2011 11:50 PM

I just read a thread that there is a TSB on the K&N filter allowing too much dust through... damaging the air intake on the CTD...

Do you guys are suggesting I just carry on the way I am?

Pull Ya 06-06-2011 12:41 PM

It has been proven time and time again that the STOCK air intake system on the Cummins is the best system you can have unless you are pushing over 500hp. Either go back to the stock system or get an AFE or anything except a K&N. For some reason K&N and Cummins don't get along very well.
Jay

Stangshcky12 06-07-2011 12:38 AM

I think the big thing is people don't know how to or just don't properly maintain K&N filters

Cthulhu 06-07-2011 12:41 AM

I don't have the stock parts.. so I'll prolly just go AFE.

Pull Ya 06-07-2011 01:26 PM

On my 04.5 Cummins I improved my stock set up with a PSM intake system. If you want to read some good information about intake systems and Cummins go to the PSM diesel web site and look at the tech section. Remember he is trying to sell his product but the tech information he has is really good and I believe very accurate. It's worth the read, if for no other reason than just to educate yourself on air intake systems.
Jay

Cthulhu 09-22-2011 06:54 PM

So, a little bit of follow up....

I called k&n to ask them what to do. They said they have dealt with a lot of dealers and have not yet failed to have them warranty things properly. They order tests on the intake tube, etc, and provide forensic evidence to the dealer that it was not the filter at fault for the failure.

I'm keeping my k&n as it seems to be a company that stands behind their product.

hockeyguynick 09-25-2011 05:19 PM

From what I have been told, poor filtration isn't the issue. The problem is if it's a filter you have to oil, the oil can get sucked into the charger and gum it up. I ran a big huge donaldson air filter on my Cummins. I believe its a John Deere filter, flows a ton of air...and if you like the sound of a turbo, the big filter makes it real noticeable