DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Forum Polls! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ready for my first mod. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84313)

scmedic09 06-06-2011 11:22 AM

ready for my first mod.

so im ready for my first mod. I want to swap out my exhaust. Should i go with cat back, or just muffler?. And should i go with magnaflow, or flowmaster?

SPC.Brinkmeyer 06-06-2011 11:27 AM

id deffinatly do cat back and open up the whole system. as far as flow master or magnaflow i have a flowmaster on my dak and nothing on my ram lol... its all a matter of prefrence but what i would go with is something with a flow through design i wouldnt get any muffler you cant drop a golfball straight through it... that will let it breathe the most freely

MADDOG 06-06-2011 01:18 PM

Can't pick the brand...that's all on you depending on what sound you want. I'll just say I like the Magnaflow sound. If you want something close to a Flowmaster 40 series, there is also the Mufflex 14" muffler. I chose Magnaflow for it's sound and warranty.

Your truck needs some backpressure to maintain low end torque. Also, when it slips into MDS, a catback without resonators will probably drone badly.

If you have a single exhaust now but want the look of duals, consider a single in / dual out muffler and new tail pipes. Then either re-use your stock resonator and get another one for the other new pipe or get two new ones.

Just my .02 on the subject.

scmedic09 06-06-2011 02:26 PM

thanks maddog... been looking at magnaflow, and i like the sound of it, also like the warranty like you were saying...

TheSatinPumpkin 06-06-2011 03:25 PM

If the Y is anything like the 3G's then i would also look into replacing it with a better flowing Y.

jcasey10 06-06-2011 03:37 PM

I'd definitely say cat-back with Magnaflows. I have flowmasters and they can get a little annoying after a while. Magnaflow's have a much nicer tone as well. But it's all personal preference.

SPC.Brinkmeyer 06-06-2011 09:03 PM

thats what ive heard the magnaflow has a more mellow soothing tone compared to the flowmaster

jcasey10 06-06-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPC.Brinkmeyer (Post 542223)
thats what ive heard the magnaflow has a more mellow soothing tone compared to the flowmaster

Yeah they do. Flowmasters can sound good but after a while, you'll get tired of them unless you like loud all the time. I'd like to do a magnaflow set up with some electric cutouts so I can be loud when I wanna be.

SPC.Brinkmeyer 06-06-2011 09:29 PM

i have flowmaster si/do 40series on my 3.7 dakota and yea i want a deeper more mellow tone to it

FallenRam 06-07-2011 02:45 AM

Id say magnaflow. Its more reasonable then Flowmaster for daily driving.