DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Wheel Bearing Assembly (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84393)

RamLamm 06-07-2011 11:09 AM

Wheel Bearing Assembly

3 Attachment(s)
I was trying to replace my passenger front wheel bearing assembly this weekend. After two solid days of trying to get the spindle nut off, it didn't budge. I successfully broke all the tools I used. I used a 6 foot cheater bar 1/2" breaker bar, that just sheered the end off. No worries, I'll get em all replaced by sears. In addition to breaking all the tools, I put about 1000 ft/lbs of torque on the nut, some how the U-joint end casting popped off.

Just wanted to point out that if you're trying to replace the assembly, you're going to need some heavy duty equipment to get the spindle nut off. Seems that the nut is rust welded on there.

Will be heading to the shop this weekend to have them do it.

SPC.Brinkmeyer 06-07-2011 12:13 PM

i just did one on my dakota...
on that we were supposed to pull out our cotter pin and the nut keeper then bolt the wheel back on sit the truck completly on the ground and then break the nut loose... mine was quite rusty but i sprayed it with some industrial strength penatrant and waited an hour after i sat it down and then went out and it came off... with a harbor freight 1/2"dr. breaker bar that was 14" long with a 2' cheater pipe that i realy probly didnt need too aweful much... the dakota torqued to 185ft/lbs i belive it was...

kawi348 06-07-2011 05:07 PM

I just got mine back today from a shop. I had the wheel bearings replaced, all tie rods, and U Joints...it all costed $913 :)...but I know the owner personally so I got an awesome deal.

RamLamm 06-07-2011 05:48 PM

Wow you did get a good deal on that. I'm going to get both wheel bearing and the one u-joint done. I recently had the other U-joint done.

toddub 06-07-2011 11:25 PM

I just did mine on Friday. I had to use a 1-11/16 3/4 inch drive socket with a Snap On 3/4 Breaker bar. We duct taped the winch cable from my buddy's truck and stood back about 20 yards. There was a terrible creeking sound, but it broke loose!

While we were able to successfully break it loose, it still took a lot of effort to get the nut off. Total cost was a case of Miller Lite and about $180 for aftermarket bearing assemblies. I guess that's why I got the truck so cheap. Good Times!

RamLamm 06-10-2011 01:10 PM

Nice work on getting the nut off. I finally gave in and dropped it off to the shop. Having them do both wheel bearing, the U-joint that I busted, and both seals in the diff. I paid for both wheel bearings. All said and done, just under $1000.

Zac2109 06-14-2011 11:08 PM

I just did the passenger side wheel hub assembly on my 2500 on sunday and it was a pretty big pain in the ass, just out of curiosity what size socket did it take on the axle nut? the reason I ask is Im getting ready to change out the one on my buddies 1500 and was needing to know what size it is.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 06-15-2011 12:11 AM

Even once you get the axle nut off , the real fight is getting the hub/bearing assembly out of the spindle . I've spent days on a 3/4 ton getting it apart .

Zac2109 06-15-2011 12:10 PM

oh yea Tom I know, I just did that on sunday, and my 3/4 ton is 13 years old so things were good and stuck on there. spent around 4 hours trying to convince it to come off with the help of a "BFH" and if your not sure what BFH is...its a Big F@#$in Hammer LOL

badazram 06-15-2011 12:45 PM

i had to replace my front universal on the passenger side and a 4 pound hammer with a chisel and punch the hub bearing decided to come apart =p i was really surprised at how easy it came apart :LOL: