DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   2008 Ram Hemi (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84448)

JPLReptiles 06-07-2011 09:31 PM

2008 Ram Hemi

I put a deposit down on this truck:

http://www.ecarlink.com/web/used/Dod...as-TX/1025723/

Just waiting to close on my new house on the 17th and then I can sign the paper work for the truck. I would of gone with an 09' but I didn't want the higher payments at this time.

Anyways it's already got a K&N and I'd like to put in an exaust. I think I'm going to follow Maddogs mods to a certain point. I like the exaust and the predator tuner. I'm liklely going to do headers but I'm not 100% sure at this point.

Gas mileage is a factor as I work around 75miles away from work one way! Although I drive to work 2 days a week so it's not to bad. I don't want to go to over the top but I understand I may lose some mpg's.

I live in South Florida and I'm not sure what else is worth doing besides the mods mentioned above. I'm planning a few things for looks like the rolling bed cover, side rails, hitch cover, front end leveling kit (raised), new darker tints, that covers most of it.

I've been doing some reading and I see things like new larger throttle bodies, 6.1L intakes, 180 degree thermostats, electric fans, cams, and so on.

I'm going to do all the things that can increase gas mileage and then I'm going to start getting into strictly performance mods. I don't plan on doing anything major like super chargers at this time. A 14sec 1/4mile truck would be awesome but that's pretty unrealistic for what I'm looking for I think. I plan on taking this one step at a time but what would my line up be inorder to get where I want to be?

I'll update with pics as I go but till then, They took some excellent pics of the truck for everyone to look at!

moparmanicac 06-07-2011 11:04 PM

All I can say is it sounds like you got some of good ideas and I cant wait for you to get your hands on that truck!

JPLReptiles 07-15-2011 12:55 AM

The Hemi has arrived, I finally have my new truck!!!

1500Ram9987 07-15-2011 01:51 AM

Congrats on the truck. You already got the air intake. Grab a diablosport predator and throw on an aftermarket exhaust then see where ya want to go from there.

The electric fan and 180* t stat are reasonable upgrades that you can do in your own drive way. Also check into fastman if you are interested in upgrading your throttle body. If you have some downtime for like 3 days, ship your TB in to be ported/bored and this will save you a lot of money instead of buying a brand new one.

From my research on the forum I hear that the two most popular mufflers are magnaflow and flowmasters. I believe people see more performance out of the magnaflow as compared to the flowmasters.

There are a lot of different options when it comes to headers. If you do decide to go the route of aftermarket headers do your research and ask around the forum. I just got my pacesetters in. I bought them raw (cheaper) and am having a 2000* ceramic coating put on by a local shop. I'll post a thread about the gains when I get them on the truck.

As for the intake manifolds and cams, I'm not the guy to ask. I believe there is a little more work that has to be done than just plopping a 6.1L intake on your truck, same goes for a cam obviously. Plently of experts here on the forum that can help ya with that though.

Another mod you could consider is gears: 4.10s or 4.56s. Just know that these would have a negative effect on fuel milage. Although I hear the 4.56s turn these hemi's into beasts.

As far as fuel economy is concerned when modding your truck the only thing I have to say is: it all depends how you drive it. If you drive responsibly you will see an increase in fuel economy (also diablo offers a MPG booster which helps a ton as well). If you hammer it every time you leave a red light... well your not gonna see a pretty number for your MPGs.

Congrats again on the new truck!

JPLReptiles 07-17-2011 02:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into the Diablo now...Not sure who has the best deal on them. Starting to look into magna flows as well. I don't like what I hear about flow masters and I'm all about the gains. A friend of mine has the magna flows and I like the sound so I'm in. I'll have to look into fastman! I would like 4.10 gears but I don't want to get into gearing just yet. As you said I'm going to get the tuner and exaust and go from there. I was also checking out edge torque converters. Well back to doing some research, love this beast! What would you all recommend as far as exaust setup? I read alot about X and Y's, singles and duals, true duals. What's the best route to go?

MoparMadness08 07-17-2011 05:14 PM

Check out speedlogix. Thats where i just got mine. As far as exhaust it your preference. Anything will be better than the stock muffler. Im keeping the single exhaust and installing a dynomax vt muffler and removing the rear resinator and changing the y-pipe out. Hopefully this will help out the performance.