DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   3Mô Headlight Lens Restoration System for those Curious Folk (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84737)

LeKy411 06-11-2011 08:24 PM

3Mô Headlight Lens Restoration System for those Curious Folk

So I took on a new project. Although it wasn't on the Ram it was a Chrysler vehicle 2003 Grand Cherokee with about 120,000 miles. Needless to say those Jeeps have large headlights and over time the yellowing and the scratches in the lights made it difficult to see at night. The scratches made the plastic feel like sand paper.

Packaging:
I purchased the 3M kit for $22 from my local Pep Boys, but you can find it for much cheaper on the internet. This kit is good for one set of lights. It comes with an adapter for your drill, 6-P500 sanding disks, 4-P800 sanding disks, 1-3000 sanding foam pad, 1 buffing pad, automotive painters tape, and a small packet of 3M Polishing compound.

The only thing you need is a power drill between 1500-1800 RPM's some cloth towels, and a bottle of water for spraying.

Directions:
The directions are well written and come with color pictures to illustrate when you should move on to the next step. I started off the process using the first sanding pad dry, but after I got the large scratches out, I sprayed a little bit of water to prevent deep scuffing and found it worked much better. I used 3 of the P500 disks on the head lights first dry then wet, and finally dry. I used both the P800 wet and found it reduced the scuffing much better and helped ensure and even finish. The 3000 disk reduced the scuffs very well and clarity was much more noticeable from the start.

With a small dab of the polishing compound I was ready to go and after a few passes the headlight looked amazing in comparison. I watched a few Youtube videos before starting this process and heard people mention that the lights need to be sealed. The 3M kit did not provide a sealer so I finished my work off with Blue Magic Head Light Lens Sealer. The sealer gave my lights a better shine and nice glossy finish. It comes in a nice spray bottle and is easy to apply.

Time Frame:
The whole process took about 2 hours from start to finish. I took my time and have never done this before. I was a little worried about uneven sanding and because I was using a cordless drill I had to switch batteries a few times.

Overall:
I was very impressed when I was done. The second headlight turned out better than the first and although I am not a sanding expert the headlights look amazing. Saved me the money I would have needed to replace the headlights probably in a year and I can safely say that I can see in the dark now. In some reviews people have said that the lights tend to yellow after 3 months because you are removing the factory sealer layer, but I hope the Blue Magic prevents this and I may even use it on my Ram to protect the headlights.

I still have a few scuffs in the lights when you look up close probably from my sanding, but it is barely noticeable and it is only a couple swirls. This kit took off a good layer of plastic because the lettering that was on the headlights is now gone from sanding.

Other Kits:
This kit was a multi-stage kit for very weathered lights. The Meguires and the Mothers kits are one stage kits that only use a polish and if your lights feel like sand paper those kits will be a waste of money. They are great if your lights are lightly weathered or yellow, but if there are scratches you should get the 3M kit.

I know this does not apply to newer trucks but if you have an older Ram that needs some work, really consider this.

I give it ZZZZZZZZZZ (10Z's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA

Toms Blue Ram 1500 06-12-2011 01:34 PM

Thanks for the nice write up .

RedRam10 06-13-2011 10:24 PM

Great write up, :rep: when I can spend some again. :D

dgard61 06-22-2011 12:38 PM

Used the 3M kit on my previous truck, 98 Ram. Worked great. Bought one for the wife's 2000 Intrepid also. I tried a couple of other kit's but none compared to the 3M one. Did the Intrepid about 1 1/2 years ago. Still look's great. Great write up by the way.