DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best CAI? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84828)

OG7 06-13-2011 12:25 AM

Best CAI?

I own a 2009, quad cab, 4.7L, dual exhaust, running an 87 octane superchip tune on a day to day. What, in your opinions, have been the best CAI's on this truck. I am looking at quality for price, efficiency, ability to keep debris out, and any altering to fit. Thanks....

RedRam10 06-13-2011 12:28 AM

There are a bunch and you can get as many opinions as brands. How much do you want to spend?

jc4041 06-13-2011 12:31 AM

all of the name brand ones are good...different sites have different gains for them, just don't buy an "ebay specail"....stick with name brand. Or you can search the threads and make your own.

OG7 06-15-2011 11:10 AM

I dont want to pay more than about 300-350. I heard volant was good, but they dont make a model for the 2009 4.7L. K&N I know of....I heard it collects a lot of debris.

platinuminjected 06-15-2011 02:33 PM

im gonna agree with the above all the name brands are good and some are a little pricey but you get what you pay for aswell...me i got a airaid and i absolutley love it

erm 06-15-2011 02:40 PM

airaid, volant and maybe AFE has one.

bloombloom88 04-01-2012 11:21 PM

i also have an 09 with the 4.7 and im looking for a CAI

K&N is cheaper but collects debris

ive been looking at airrade, they claim it seals to the top of the hood to help from sucking in hot air from the motor, it also has an air scoop that goes inside your fender i believe that will help bring cooler air to the filter. K&N does not have the scoop

look around and let me know what you decide on, ill be buying in the next month or 2

Chris

bloombloom88 04-01-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OG7 (Post 546522)
I own a 2009, quad cab, 4.7L, dual exhaust, running an 87 octane superchip tune on a day to day. What, in your opinions, have been the best CAI's on this truck. I am looking at quality for price, efficiency, ability to keep debris out, and any altering to fit. Thanks....

how do you like your superchips tuner? did it do anything for gas mileage? how are your gains in power and throttle response?

Bardeenm1 04-02-2012 09:24 AM

I have the same truck and am interested in the super chips. Can you give us a quick review? Do you tow with your truck? If so did you notice a difference towing?

Thanks in advance.

snrusnak 04-02-2012 04:14 PM

Wow lots of questions in this thread and really spread out over time lol.

As far as the superchips, I've had mine for almost a year I think and pretty much run a 93 tune the whole time. If I had only one mod it would be this. HUGE gains, I think it's like 61hp and 67lb ft at about 4,500 rpm. There are big gains through the entire rpm range. The 87 tune gives about half this gain IIRC. Still well worth the couple hundred bucks. MPG may have increased slightly(hard for me to say since I never really drove it stock, I had this tuner the whole time). Shifts are better, and I change to the 87 tune but still use premium when towing and it does great.

Name brand intakes are great but I just use an airraid drop in dry filter, the airraid modular intake tube, and a cheesy flex pipe to cold air for now(will be doing a nice ram air scoop in the future). I did notice a difference with the intake setup I use, although not drastic.