DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Its engine swappin' time (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84836)

KarmasRAM 06-13-2011 12:55 AM

Its engine swappin' time

I have a 96 ram short box single cab sport truck with a 318 automatic and 3.55s out back
cold air intake and open exahst
The truck is pretty fast as it is ( or so I thought )

A friend of mine drove my truck home for me ione night about a week ago and said it was like a lame duck :(

So I found a 98 2500 4x4 with the cast Iron V10 in it to swap into my little play truck

I know this engine will fit under te hood and that the frame rails are the same I hav ethe whole truck to swap the V10 from but what else do I need other than the engine and the ECM and wiring harness

Will it bolt to my currant tranny

What it the difference in weight from one moter to the other should I consider swapping over the front coils or leave them for that lowered look and then lower the rear

Understandably the rad will have to be flushed and swapped

Can anybody else think of anything that Ill need to worry about

Exauhst isint an issue Ill just swap over the V10 stuff with the mother and shorten it accordingly ( or Ill just run it up thru stacks who knows what kind of mood Ill be in

Ill be changing the spark plugs before the moter goes into the truck as Ive read too many threads about what a PITA changing them are .. anything else I should do while the moter is on the stand
can anyone thnk of anything else I should be aware of BEFORE I start this whole process

ramvan2500 06-13-2011 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmasRAM (Post 546582)
I have a 96 ram short box single cab sport truck with a 318 automatic and 3.55s out back
cold air intake and open exahst
The truck is pretty fast as it is ( or so I thought )

A friend of mine drove my truck home for me ione night about a week ago and said it was like a lame duck :(

So I found a 98 2500 4x4 with the cast Iron V10 in it to swap into my little play truck

I know this engine will fit under te hood and that the frame rails are the same I hav ethe whole truck to swap the V10 from but what else do I need other than the engine and the ECM and wiring harness

Will it bolt to my currant tranny

What it the difference in weight from one moter to the other should I consider swapping over the front coils or leave them for that lowered look and then lower the rear

Understandably the rad will have to be flushed and swapped

Can anybody else think of anything that Ill need to worry about

Exauhst isint an issue Ill just swap over the V10 stuff with the mother and shorten it accordingly ( or Ill just run it up thru stacks who knows what kind of mood Ill be in

Ill be changing the spark plugs before the moter goes into the truck as Ive read too many threads about what a PITA changing them are .. anything else I should do while the moter is on the stand
can anyone thnk of anything else I should be aware of BEFORE I start this whole process

Your friend doesn't know his ass from his elbow! First of all the 318 is a very powerful engine stock, thing is you have a 1996 and well you need to do a valve job and a good cleaning then you will have alot more power. A friend of mine I told him to do a valve job on his 2001 and he even said their was one hell of a difference his exact quote "runs a 1000 times better" Anyway's if you mod the engine you can get even more power, mopar engines unlike chevy engines cost more to turn into performance machines, I'm not a chevy person I'm completely dodge and thats all I know. But what I do know is the 318 is fine, if you swap the engine out you would need to replace all the wiring harnesses and computers. The ECM stands for Engine Control Module, they make a ECM for the v10 for the same reason they make them for the V8's etc... Just do yourself a valve job and put some performance parts on their and perhaps but a lift on that throttle body and it should do much better maybe get you to 300HP. I do know a TB block will get you around an extra 25HP and the valve job and cleaning and a free flow exhaust should get you roughly an extra 35 HP. the engine alone is 250 HP respectively.

KarmasRAM 06-13-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramvan2500 (Post 546594)
Your friend doesn't know his ass from his elbow! First of all the 318 is a very powerful engine stock, thing is you have a 1996 and well you need to do a valve job and a good cleaning then you will have alot more power. A friend of mine I told him to do a valve job on his 2001 and he even said their was one hell of a difference his exact quote "runs a 1000 times better" Anyway's if you mod the engine you can get even more power, mopar engines unlike chevy engines cost more to turn into performance machines, I'm not a chevy person I'm completely dodge and thats all I know. But what I do know is the 318 is fine, if you swap the engine out you would need to replace all the wiring harnesses and computers. The ECM stands for Engine Control Module, they make a ECM for the v10 for the same reason they make them for the V8's etc... Just do yourself a valve job and put some performance parts on their and perhaps but a lift on that throttle body and it should do much better maybe get you to 300HP. I do know a TB block will get you around an extra 25HP and the valve job and cleaning and a free flow exhaust should get you roughly an extra 35 HP. the engine alone is 250 HP respectively.

Well you will have to remember that he drove my poor tired old truck with 300 000 on the clock only minutes after getting out of his 2009 ram with the big Hemi so of course his opinion is going to be that mine is weak and underpowered

Thank you for the reply but this isint a thread about getting more power out of my tired old 318 Id like more info on swapping to the cast iron V10

RedRam10 06-13-2011 10:44 PM

Good luck with the swap, lots of weight difference and the V-10 you are thinking about is a torque monster and not the high HP engine you might be desiring. But it will be a great project truck.

KarmasRAM 06-13-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRam10 (Post 547271)
Good luck with the swap, lots of weight difference and the V-10 you are thinking about is a torque monster and not the high HP engine you might be desiring. But it will be a great project truck.

:smileup: Horsepowers is fun but Ive had more fun with high torque engins than some ppl would believe

I figured that the engine would weigh a bit more thats why I am looking at a complete truck that way if needed I can steel the springs out of it along with anything else I need

RedRam10 06-13-2011 10:51 PM

That makes good sense and you might want to move the trany with the engine.

KarmasRAM 06-13-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRam10 (Post 547280)
That makes good sense and you might want to move the trany with the engine.

Problem with the tranny in the doner truck is that it is blown and 4x4 thats why I was wondering if I could use the one I have till it exlodes in a oily mess all over the road :SHOCKED:

ramvan2500 06-13-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmasRAM (Post 547250)
Well you will have to remember that he drove my poor tired old truck with 300 000 on the clock only minutes after getting out of his 2009 ram with the big Hemi so of course his opinion is going to be that mine is weak and underpowered

Thank you for the reply but this isint a thread about getting more power out of my tired old 318 Id like more info on swapping to the cast iron V10

An old truck with 250HP is going to run better then a new Truck cause these dodge trannies today just plain suck very sensitive you have to baby them like crazy. But forget it. Well if you really want a v10 then go for it but yea you will have to replace the ECM, the wiring harnesses etc. Their is quite a bit that would need to be changed for it to work. Honestly you can get as much power out of the 318 as you can the V10 if you play your cards right. Hell just find a 318 and 727 Combination like from the old 70's chargers and their good to go. haha, anyways. Best of luck on your project, personally I think it's dumb to swap out a engine that is perfectly fine but your truck not mine.

ArmyofOne 06-14-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramvan2500 (Post 547383)
An old truck with 250HP is going to run better then a new Truck cause these dodge trannies today just plain suck very sensitive you have to baby them like crazy. But forget it. Well if you really want a v10 then go for it but yea you will have to replace the ECM, the wiring harnesses etc. Their is quite a bit that would need to be changed for it to work. Honestly you can get as much power out of the 318 as you can the V10 if you play your cards right. Hell just find a 318 and 727 Combination like from the old 70's chargers and their good to go. haha, anyways. Best of luck on your project, personally I think it's dumb to swap out a engine that is perfectly fine but your truck not mine.

I believe he said his 318 is tired...if it has more than 200k on it, i could believe that.

Karmas,

I cannot comment on if the V10 will not bolt to your trans, and I really do not think it would hold the TQ anyway. You COULD make an adapter plate, but if it isnt perfect, it will never work right. You might want to think of buying the V10 truck, and rebuilding/doing a tranny swap. MUCH easier and more cost effective. The Swap will cost you, at minimum (if everything goes smoothly), $1,000. Thats IF you dont run into any problems, and not including the price of the truck. Then you have to take into account that nothing ever goes right the first time, murphy's law, etc...you could very well be looking at 2-3 thousand before its all said and done, AFTER you buy the truck. Much cheaper to buy an $800 tranny and swap it out.

Drive your old truck till the V10 is ready, and then HAMMER DOWN.

Zac2109 06-14-2011 12:45 AM

yea take it from me the V10 isnt so much a horsepower motor as its a pulling down the whole neighborhood motor, to me its foolish to swap a V10 into a truck that came stock with a V8, like stated previous there are alot of things to swap out and alot of things to check and see if they will handle all the additional torque that motor puts out. I think armyofone had it right by saying just spend the 800 dollars on a new tranny for the 2500 the V10's already in, seems like alot less of a headache to me. And dont get me wrong, I'm pro V10 all the way as you see in my vehicle description. Just to me seems like more trouble than its worth.