DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   EGR/DPF/CAT delete (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84915)

NORFLA71 06-13-2011 11:02 PM

EGR/DPF/CAT delete

I just bought an 08 6.7. While power was impressive the emissions system is not. I lost count of how many times it went into regen. On top of that, the 600 mile old oil looks as if it has never been changed.

I would like to know, from those who have done the deletes, how much better your truck ran and how much your mileage improved. Using only the trucks computer I noticed a 6 MPG drop during regen. I averaged about 16, mostly highway at 80, with some stop and go thrown in- roughly the same as my 04 5.9 2x4.

CdnoilRAM 06-13-2011 11:17 PM

If you're wondering about the oil... you can drive 10 miles with brand new oil and it'll be black, it's the nature of diesels, the oil is always black, there's nothing wrong with your motor.

I don't have a diesel personally, but i've helped with a few DPF deletes for local cummins members; both we've done have improved fuel economy and upped the torque. The biggest thing you need to do is get a proper tuner to program out the DPF and EGR cooler; the H&S MiniMAXX was the programmer of choice for our deletes.

NORFLA71 06-14-2011 06:03 AM

Cool, and thanks for the info about the tuner. I've seen that one advertised in Diesel Power for months.

I only mentioned the oil because my Ford doesn't really dirty until it gets close to mileage for a change; all I did on it is an EGR delete. I hear these engines really work their oil supply and will try an FS2500 (or similar) system.

Stangshcky12 06-14-2011 05:49 PM

10 miles and your oil will be black. I too recomend the H&S mini maxx. There software is the most update and they have great customer service!
You see that big of a decrease in fuel mileage because cummins use diesel fuel as their catalyst instead of the UREA fluid like ford and chevy

79ta 06-15-2011 09:53 AM

I did a dpf delete, unplugged the egr(per the instructions with the smarty jr programmer) installed an amsoil by-pass filter system along with changing over to amsoil 15w40 diesel oil about 7 months ago. With 1900 miles on the oil, it looks as if I just poured it in, the power is unbelievable and I'm getting close to 20mpg. Also, I have a 4" mufflerless turbo back exhaust system that eliminated the cats as well.

NORFLA71 06-18-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79ta (Post 548312)
I did a dpf delete, unplugged the egr(per the instructions with the smarty jr programmer) installed an amsoil by-pass filter system along with changing over to amsoil 15w40 diesel oil about 7 months ago. With 1900 miles on the oil, it looks as if I just poured it in, the power is unbelievable and I'm getting close to 20mpg. Also, I have a 4" mufflerless turbo back exhaust system that eliminated the cats as well.

Have you had any warrenty issues since doing this? I want to wait until my warrenty is up (2013) but hate the thought of having all that crap floating around in my engine's lubrication system.

Stangshcky12 06-19-2011 05:37 PM

The only thing the truck has ever been in for was a brake problem with bad o rings and dpf problems before the delete. I would have to guess they wouldnt even look at the truck now. Only 30k on the drivetrain warranty and 100k will be hit within two or three months

79ta 06-23-2011 10:55 AM

I had the j35 recall and that was pre-deletes, no other issues with the truck (except a bad battery, I replaced both originals with optimas). I recently changed to a 5" turbo back, mufflerless exhaust system but havent driven enough to check mpg. I added a 2 micron fuel filter between the stock filter and the cp3 (injection pump) which included a big line kit (from Glacier Diesel) so the injectors can live a long happy life, which may help mpg as well. I can return the truck to stock in a couple of hours so if something serious happens, thats what I will have to do. I just turned 5050 miles last night, so I have a ways to go on the warranty.