DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Love my truck but bad mileage (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84935)

farmall 06-14-2011 05:48 AM

Love my truck but bad mileage

Well I finally bought a 2011 crew cab dually with diesel, 6 speed auto, 3.73 gears. I absolutely love the truck...with one exception. I am having a hardtime dealing with the fuel mileage. I have 182000 miles on my 2003 quad cab short bed 3500 with diesel, 6 speed manual and 3.73 gears and I usually get 20-22 MPG on it. My new one only gets about 14 empty and 9 pulling my 14000 lb camper. I didn't expect it to get in the 20's but I need better that 9-14. Does anyone know what i can do to help this out? I am not looking for any hp or torque gains, just mileage.

Upstater 06-14-2011 08:00 AM

I'd look at tuners... I don't have any experience with diesel tuners (both my rams have been gas) but from what I've heard you can get some pretty incredible performance results with a tuner, so perhaps it can help with mileage too.

Good luck!

Stangshcky12 06-14-2011 05:46 PM

The DPF is the problem. Like you my girlfriends dad had an 05 QC long bed cummins with 3:73s getting 22ish mpg that she bought off of him with 126k miles on it when he bought a 2009 QC short bed cummins with 3:55s when dodge was filing for bankruptcy.
After 40k miles and completly hating the new truck I talked him into a DPF delete before he went back to a 5.9.
Did the job.
He's getting 21-24 for now and has had any problems in the 30k miles he's run it.
I would recomend the H&S performance DPF delete kit and their mini maxx tuner. You'll need a tuner to trick the computer in think its in regeneration but you don't have to change the power settings. You'll see alot more power just from the stock tune.

SPC.Brinkmeyer 06-14-2011 06:13 PM

intake, exhaust and get like a bully dog or some sort of tuner they have hauling, power, and fuel mileage tunes...

Ghostknife 06-14-2011 06:24 PM

Emissions, like stated above, is what is killing your mileage. Dumping raw fuel into the exhaust for a reburn is cleaning your exhaust but its a waste of fuel. Ditch the emissions and tune it and you will see 20s

oilbrnr 06-19-2011 07:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fascinating. I have just completed week 2 with my brand new 2010 diesel. It replaces a much loved '89 W250 that ges 17 mpg with 350k miles on the clock. the new truck struggles to give better than 14 mpg.

farmall 06-25-2011 08:58 PM

After a little research, I decided to buy the MBRP DPF delete pipe. It took place of 2 big canisters in the exhaust. I beleive one is the DPF and the other is maybe the catalytic converter. I bought a Grear Box DPF-R to fool the computer. I will let you all know how the mileage goes after a few hundred miles. More later...

Stangshcky12 06-26-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmall (Post 556046)
After a little research, I decided to buy the MBRP DPF delete pipe. It took place of 2 big canisters in the exhaust. I beleive one is the DPF and the other is maybe the catalytic converter. I bought a Grear Box DPF-R to fool the computer. I will let you all know how the mileage goes after a few hundred miles. More later...

Right track the second one is the NOx filter

Dooner 06-28-2011 04:21 PM

Love my truck but bad mileage

Hey guys, I'm new to the diesel world. I just bought my 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW with only 6000 miles on it a week and a half ago. I love the truck. It gets in the 20s mpg unloaded, and it it pulls my 19000 lbs 5th wheel RV with no problem. I was surprised that I could use the cruise control while hauling.

My question is on the LAW side of this. I live in Texas, so no emissions testing yet, but have the yearly inspection. I was told before with my gas vehicles, that catalytic convertors had to be on it to pass inspection. Does this not go for the diesels? And what about you guys that have emissions testing, will it still pass?

Thanks in advance with any input or direction to another post with the info.

Dooner

Stangshcky12 06-28-2011 07:42 PM

Everytime you see a truck with stacks they have the factory cat removed and no muffler.
Just cause your in Texas I would say its ok haha
But seriously PA is about the same way and havent had any trouble with the DPF delete yet
Have even been through a DOT inspection with a skid steer behind the truck