DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oops, just bought a DSP unexpectedly, lol...more questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85025)

starquestbd22 06-15-2011 02:59 PM

Oops, just bought a DSP unexpectedly, lol...more questions

Well I'm sure most of you have read and maybe replied to my recent threads about considering a tuner. Just thought I would share what just happened. I was watching a used (but guaranteed not VIN locked) DSP on ebay. Long story short, I popped in a bid expecting it to be under the reserve and ended up winning it for $192 including shipping. I wasn't really planning to buy one for a little while but at least I got a good deal in it!! Plus, at that price I can probably get my money back if the wife throws a tantrum, lol.

So another question. I don't really care about gas mileage. I just bought this thing for performance and plan to run the max performance preset tune. Should I program the 91 octane tune and run 93 octane in the truck as a safety net against detonation? Or is it safe to go ahead and program the 93 octane tune?

Thanks!!

erm 06-15-2011 06:41 PM

You should be just fine running the 93 tune. Some folks have reported back that they liked it but actually felt that the truck was faster with the 91 tune.

As for me, I can't get anything higher than 92 octane here so I stick with the 91 and it does just fine.

So, why not try the 91, fill up with 91 or better and try it out.

Then, swap over to the 93 and see how that goes.

Each truck is different and differing local ambient conditions do have an affect on how a truck runs.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

UltraFlame 06-15-2011 07:43 PM

Looks like you found a great deal. I have run 93 with 93 and it has been a blast. When I go on some trips I continue to put in 93 but I set the tune to 91 and get a couple extra miles per gallon but play time is 93/93. Been over a year since I had mine and I still smile every time I drive the truck.

starquestbd22 06-15-2011 08:30 PM

Thanks guys. I'm really excited about it but I've managed to freak myself out a little too by reading more junk after I bought it. I've seen a few comments about people crapping their auto trannies while using the DSP. I feel like this is probably a very small percentage or more likely related to abuse or something besides the DSP but I'm a worrier. Any thoughts?

snrusnak 06-15-2011 08:48 PM

Very cool and what a deal! I just replied to another thread of yours I think and was stating that I used to run the 93 tune on superchips, and it was fine, but with any load and alot of gas pedal it would detonate, so lately I've been running the 91 tune, and it seems just as fast and no problems when hauling a load. They told me the 93 tune only makes 3 to 6 hp over the 91 tune, and its all in advancing the timing more. I'd love to compare the dsp vs the flashpaq side by side....anyone in the orlando area with a dsp that would be interested :) ??? lol Let us know your results!

starquestbd22 06-15-2011 09:24 PM

Yeah, I think that is exactly what I will do. I don't really do a lot of hauling or hardly any towing but I like a safety margin. Thanks for the response.

snrusnak 06-15-2011 09:51 PM

I have the same opinion, 3 to 6 hp isn't worth a damaged engine. Funny, I just realized we have similar trucks/mods....I have cooper zeon ltz's, an airaid drop in, airaid MIT, and a superchips..... This may be a stupid question, but how do you add that stuff at the bottom of the screen...?

CajunDodge 06-15-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 548837)
This may be a stupid question, but how do you add that stuff at the bottom of the screen...?

Just go into your User CP and click on "Edit Signature." Then you can add your mods. :)

- Cajun

snrusnak 06-15-2011 10:14 PM

Thanks! I'm only 24 and can't keep up with technology/computers... I think I was born a half century too late...

CamoBoy34 06-15-2011 11:05 PM

this is gonna be a REALLY stupid question but what is DSP? and what do you think about a diablo trinity? im going on a trip from central kansas to san antonio, texas would it be worth it to buy it before i go?