DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Bakflip F1 Driving Me Crazy (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85048)

LeKy411 06-15-2011 08:43 PM

Bakflip F1 Driving Me Crazy

So I have had my cover for a while now and wrote up a big review.

Needless to say the cover is really bugging me. I get small amounts of water into it. I realigned the rails after I noticed a small gap, but that did not fix the problem.

I have a drop in bed liner so I added the seal and even caulked it so that the water would not leak under it.

While installing the cover multiple times and tightening and loosening it one side where the bolts is ended up spydering/cracking. This is because they drill the hole and do not put an sort of grommet into it. The pressure caused the the F1 black top to slightly crack. Annoyed by that, but the leak is not there.

Also when I fold the cover the inside edges are not very smooth and rub against the rubber seal. Not really impressed with my Bakflip.

Any help would be suggested. Could it be the front lip of the bed liner not sealing well?

M n M 06-15-2011 09:46 PM

Sorry for your troubles. I am pretty happy with mine. But I've only have folded it up all the way I think twice since I installed it back in February. It barely leaks, I take mine through carwash's a few times.

Did you stick on the shims to level out the side rails?

LeKy411 06-15-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M n M (Post 548831)
Sorry for your troubles. I am pretty happy with mine. But I've only have folded it up all the way I think twice since I installed it back in February. It barely leaks, I take mine through carwash's a few times.

Did you stick on the shims to level out the side rails?

When I called Bakflip initiall when I had trouble they told me the Rams do not use nor need shims. Grrrr!

M n M 06-15-2011 10:19 PM

Directions are a little confusing. I didn't think i needed them either but before I tighten up the side rails I took a look and they seemed to tilt inward a little to much. You may want to look into this. Even if you don't have the supplied shim you could use a similar material. I think the shims were about a 1/8 of an inch think.

Al E. Gator 06-16-2011 08:45 AM

I didn't need shims on my G2. I think the Bakflip is a great product but it seems like their QA is dropping the ball. I have a few quality issues that are really minor on mine. I wouldn't even worry about them if the thing wasn't so expensive.

RamOwner 06-19-2011 07:19 AM

Did you ever get things lined out?

LeKy411 06-19-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamOwner (Post 551072)
Did you ever get things lined out?

When I was looking for a solution I found the email address for the guy who owns the company and I emailed him about some of the issues I have been having with alignment and quality of the product. He told me to send him a couple pictures so i tossed them on photo bucket, but he hasn't responded yet with a solution.

platinuminjected 06-19-2011 01:20 PM

sorry to hear of your troubles there bud but i dont really have any suggestions as you covered pretty much everything...luckily i had mine installed where i bought it and i have no leaks so maybe try taking it to a shop to see if they can do anything about it

RamOwner 06-19-2011 01:34 PM

I almost pulled the trigger on a purchase of the F1 UNTIL I encountered your post. Maybe yours is defective? Please let us know how things turn out though.

LeKy411 06-19-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamOwner (Post 551259)
I almost pulled the trigger on a purchase of the F1 UNTIL I encountered your post. Maybe yours is defective? Please let us know how things turn out though.

From what I have seen quality control is a little bit hazy. If you get one its either good or bad. When I fold mine up the mental bottom rubs against the seals and leave scuffs in them. I think driving with it folded would a disaster. I could do some shaving trimming and such but I would expect that from a $200 cover or something from Ebay, not a $800 product.

http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/...Ram%20BakFlip/