DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   California Duster (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85316)

Jixer 06-19-2011 05:55 PM

California Duster

I recently purchased a California Duster and am wondering if they really don't scratch surfaces. I have searched the threads looking for info and have read where some guys use them, but I am skeptical.:str: I have used it once and VERY gently when I did. I will wash and wax my truck and then it may sit in the garage for a week before I drive it. Is it OK that I use the duster to take the dust off? Will it scratch or swirl at all? If I do drive it and not get it in the rain, can I use the duster then too? Any info would be great! Thanks!!!

erm 06-19-2011 06:18 PM

I never saw any scratches per se, but there were some surface swirls. But those went away with a quick wipe with the Meguiars Quik Detailer.

Pull Ya 06-20-2011 02:27 PM

I have never used one so this information is all second hand--their duster has a chemical that will leave streaks on your finish when the duster is new. People have suggested that you wrap it in newspaper for a couple of days before you use it the first time. I guess that helps "soak up" the excessive chemicals in the duster. I think that after washing it a couple of times the excessive chemicals would be gone too. I looked at them but decided to use a spray on detailer instead.
Jay

Get Bit 06-20-2011 02:37 PM

It will scratch the surface over time. I have several friends who detail cars for a living and they cringe when they see a CD being used. Instead use a quick detail spray and good clean detail cloths. Mine get used to dust off my lawnmower, tool box, chairs, etc..

erm 06-20-2011 02:38 PM

Yup, had the same ^^^^ experience with them. After it had been used a few times it quit leaving streaks.

highlandchef 06-20-2011 06:57 PM

I love a small one for dusting the inside of a vehicle but I won't use them on the painted surfaces.

wannab 06-20-2011 07:45 PM

I have been useing the same duster for over ten years now. The older they get the better they work. My truck is black, and i have used on other black cars in the past, no scratches. They really work well when pollen time comes around. You might want to let it sit out for a while and let some of the oil dry up a little. That is put on them when they are new.

Kleeeen 06-20-2011 07:48 PM

I use mine for the interior

Jixer 06-21-2011 05:00 PM

Thanks all. I did let it sit out for a few days sitting on cardboard and was able to see the oilish residue soak into the cardboard. I have not seen the streaks when I have used it (twice). It is a white truck and I use it VERY gently. I appreciate the comments. Thanks!!

Leadfootluke 06-22-2011 12:59 AM

They should be fine if you do it 100% correctly. A lot of sealants will allow you to pass over the surface ever so lightly with a duster and remove most of the dust without marring. I usually wash my vehicle when it gets too dusty.