DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Creak and Clunk. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85423)

ArmyofOne 06-20-2011 11:43 PM

Creak and Clunk.

Ok, in my interior, somewhere between the back of the front seats, and the back wall of the cab, intermittently on cornering there is a creak and then a clunk. They always happen together, creak first, then clunk. Does not matter which direction I turn, it can happen randomly but it only happens when I am turning.

I have narrowed it down to SOMETHING either in the interior or a bad bushing on either the cab or bed mounts.

Problem is, the mounts all look good. So today, to do a little test I took EVERYTHING except my registration and insurance out of the truck. I thought maybe it was a can of WD-40 rolling or a loose ratchet strap or something under the seat...

"creeeeeak....CLUNK!"

Any idea? Powertrain warranty only, and with 57k miles, the dealer would charge me a small fortune to troubleshoot, so I am on my own here. Where to look next? I have checked:

Cab mounts
Strut mounts
Bed Mounts
Sway bar links
Ball joints (even though there is NO way those are bad yet, and even if they were they would not sound like this, so I just checked em to check em).

Whatever it is, its in the center of the truck, between the tranny and the rear axle, somewhere. That much I am sure of.

sk8noregon 06-21-2011 12:30 AM

Hmmmm......Hard to say if you checked all that already. Is the creeky sound like a squeaky creek ? Did you check to see if all of the body mount bolts were actually tight ?

ArmyofOne 06-21-2011 12:39 AM

Have not torqued anything yet, have to get ahold of a TQ wrench from work. But they are all german spec (Gutentight :LOL: ) I checked them with a ratchet.

It sounds like someone stepping on a floorboard of an old house, but with more of a metallic squeak than a wooden one, if that makes any sense.

It literally sounds like a creak, and then a can of vegetables rolling across my truck bed, and smacking the side. Hence the reason why I thought it was something rolling and emptied my truck out completely. Its WEIRD.

GTyankee 06-21-2011 01:14 AM

mine sounds sort of like that when i pull off a high curb at an angle
i am putting the body in a flex & then the rubber between the body & the doors makes a strange noise

ArmyofOne 06-21-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 552801)
mine sounds sort of like that when i pull off a high curb at an angle
i am putting the body in a flex & then the rubber between the body & the doors makes a strange noise

Same thing here, coincendence? What you described sounds exactly like what I am hearing.

moparornocar72 06-21-2011 10:44 PM

this may sound dumb but my pass. seat belt taps against my passenger pillar sometimes and makes a clunk, maybe it's the seat creak that some people seem to have mixed with that. Best thing to do is to get someone to ride with u that can help narrow it down while u drive as u normally would. good luck, let us know

tnmopar 07-07-2011 08:07 AM

Had the same type of noise on my 2009 crew cab turn out to be the rear drivers side door was out of adjustment. Good Luck with the noise any rattleing or clunking drives me crazy hope you get it fixed.

redram33 07-07-2011 06:31 PM

sounds like its time to get rid of it

CHVYKLR 07-07-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparornocar72 (Post 553392)
this may sound dumb but my pass. seat belt taps against my passenger pillar sometimes and makes a clunk, maybe it's the seat creak that some people seem to have mixed with that. Best thing to do is to get someone to ride with u that can help narrow it down while u drive as u normally would. good luck, let us know

I get that crap too so sometimes I buckle it even if no one is sitting there.

ArmyofOne 07-07-2011 09:18 PM

Whatever it is, its more prevalent in the cold. I havent heard it at all since the weather warmed up a bit.