DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Airaid, Volant, or aFe Stage 2 intake? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85491)

ramrt1993 06-22-2011 11:16 AM

Airaid, Volant, or aFe Stage 2 intake?

I'm having trouble deciding what intake I want. I'm nervous about getting the Volant cause of the hole in the bottom for the scoop and the price! I'm also nervous about the aFe stage 2 because I haven't seen a picture of it assembled. As for the Airaid, somehow I'm just not quite satisfied with it. I wanna get one of those 3, or maybe even a K&N.

I want the most power for my money, and I'd like to have the least amount of dirt particles going into my engine.

I'm probably gonna buy on Amazon, as it's the cheapest.

This is for a 2011 Ram R/T.

And something easy to install is preferred!

RamTex 06-22-2011 11:43 AM

The question you got to ask yourself is what is the ultimate goal for your truck? Are you going to get a supercharger or turbo down the road? If so i would just throw a K&N drop in filter in it and call it good. If not then i would get the volant the tube is enormous and will fit a bigger TB if you ever get one down the road. The quality of the intake it phenomonal the inside is completly coated with and ultra smooth coating which is great for airflow. I own one and it is a great intake the fitment issue about the hole not matching is because this intake was made for 07/08 rams. And its not really even a performance limiting factor. Also the PowerCore filter is awesome.

Wildcat 06-22-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTex (Post 553686)
The question you got to ask yourself is what is the ultimate goal for your truck? Are you going to get a supercharger or turbo down the road? If so i would just throw a K&N drop in filter in it and call it good. If not then i would get the volant the tube is enormous and will fit a bigger TB if you ever get one down the road. The quality of the intake it phenomonal the inside is completly coated with and ultra smooth coating which is great for airflow. I own one and it is a great intake the fitment issue about the hole not matching is because this intake was made for 07/08 rams. And its not really even a performance limiting factor. Also the PowerCore filter is awesome.

Doesn't it just upset you every time you pop the hood and see that it doesn't fit right after it cost as much as it did though? I like the looks, but that fitment keeps me from going for it. I keep hoping they will come out with one that is designed to fit a 4th Gen.

LoneWolfNY 06-22-2011 12:33 PM

Can someone put a close up photo of the bad fitment area? I want to see if its something I could live with. I'm still on the fence on what one to get for myself, was thinking of just getting the k&n cai one if I cant make up my mind soon cause k&n has been around forever so I figure it may be a better all around one at least.

BTW-> Should I wait till at least the truck is broken in before installing a cai system, since I don't want to lean this thing out right now and the diablo is still not ready for the 11's to make up for it.

Thanks

MFitzs70 06-22-2011 12:46 PM

There's also a Spectre brand. I'm using it on my 07. Take a look at their website and notice they don't post what the HP increase is or mpg. I called them on that and they siad there are to many variables that could influance that. Which I can agree to a point. I like mine and i did see a mpg and performance increase.

Crash 06-22-2011 12:52 PM

I wouldn't buy the volant again if you paid for it! The fact that they know about thier "fitment" issue and continue to sell it for the price they do is inexcusable IMHO. Yeah it sounds nice and looks good but their customer service sucks in fact its non-existant. here's my thread on mine with pics if you want to check it out.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=75813

erm 06-22-2011 05:08 PM

I've run into some fitment problems with three different Volant kits but the scoop underneath was never a problem and they make for a clean looking install. However, they don't flow as well as some other units.

I have the AFE Stage 1 on my Ram and love it.

theweavman 06-22-2011 05:39 PM

I looked at all the current CAI systems for the Hemi.... I compared their stated HP and Torque values as a guide...I looked at installations, claims, filter types, cost etc. BANKS even has a comparison test of some systems on their web site, just another source of some info...
I decided to go with AFE.... Easy installation, very well made, uses the bottom of the factory air intake box, tied for the highest HP and Torque number found, choice of filter types,... I'm very satisfied with the entire kit...... I added a pre-filter bag, over my filter for extra protection and cleaning ease, also looks nice as you can chose your color.... You can install your CAI kit, anytime you want...should have no impact on your break in or warranty.... some people seem to feel that a closed box intake will keep the intake air cooler by not taking in warm underhood air, I think that once the closed box gets warm from it being under hood also, it does just the opposit, I think it tends to retain heat, rather than allowing it to escape from being open...but i'm sure there are others who may wish argue with that idea, ...anyway thats my 2 cents worth...hope you like whatever you choose

thedvsmonkey 06-22-2011 05:59 PM

I have the aFe stage 2 and couldn't be happier. Easy install and no problems. No codes. No fitment issues. Helps make a nice growl too! :D

ramrt1993 06-22-2011 06:10 PM

I think I might just go with aFe, the price is actually not too bad :) on most websites they only sell the oiled filter with it. Is the oiled filter the way to go, or should I look harder and find a dry one?