DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Idle Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85547)

sledneckforlife 06-23-2011 05:29 AM

Idle Question

I have a 2001 Ram with the v10 and 78k on the clock. When I start it in the morning it takes about 5 minutes for the idle to come down from 1500 rpm. Is this normal? I am not familiar with the v10 so any info will be appreciated. Thank you, Brad.

ramvan2500 06-27-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sledneckforlife (Post 554275)
I have a 2001 Ram with the v10 and 78k on the clock. When I start it in the morning it takes about 5 minutes for the idle to come down from 1500 rpm. Is this normal? I am not familiar with the v10 so any info will be appreciated. Thank you, Brad.

Few things you might do to help, one is clean your throttle body and the IAC. Secondly replace the PCV valve and if their is a breather filter replace that also. Then just do a seafoam oil treatment, I like to do one once in a while just to keep the galley in the crankshaft clean and keep the pump clean. Just get some seamfoam and put about 4 Oz in the oil maybe 250 miles before your next oil change.

Most likely just cleaning the TB will do it, but I do notice on many cars and trucks even those not chrysler if you have a oil clogged PCV then it will mess the idle a little because of the vacuum.

sledneckforlife 06-28-2011 09:11 AM

I will check those suggestions out..I used to work on 4 wheelers and snowmobiles and one of the biggest culprits of bad idle was the carb. so this makes sense to me. Thanks.

erm 06-28-2011 11:01 AM

I agree with RamVan. Sounds like a good cleaning is needed.

mpepin1905 02-20-2012 10:27 PM

Hello anyone know about my dodge ram 2500 v10 gas engine with 45000 miles?
I have owned it for Six years and love it. However while driving on highway had sudden loss of power. Drove it home and found both cat converters melted. I replaced both but found cause of problem. Problem is two cylinders low compression and dumping fuel into cats. I was wondering if any knows if this engine is a non-interferance engine. Seems to me like the exhaust valves are stuck open. It does not sound like pistons hit valves. And A local Dodge dealer told me i need a new engine.

ramvan2500 02-20-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpepin1905 (Post 729077)
Hello anyone know about my dodge ram 2500 v10 gas engine with 45000 miles?
I have owned it for Six years and love it. However while driving on highway had sudden loss of power. Drove it home and found both cat converters melted. I replaced both but found cause of problem. Problem is two cylinders low compression and dumping fuel into cats. I was wondering if any knows if this engine is a non-interferance engine. Seems to me like the exhaust valves are stuck open. It does not sound like pistons hit valves. And A local Dodge dealer told me i need a new engine.

Dealerships are full of idiot's they aren't mechanics they're morons. Sure maybe their is one or two that actually can turn a wrench but they don't give a crap. You don't need a new engine, if an exhaust valve is stuck open just remove the valve covers and find the sticking valve, probably a spring broke, either way you can pressurize the chamber and replace the spring or do what you need to do, better yet you can just remove the heads have them rebuilt and then slap them back on with new bolts, gaskets. And done deal!

They like anyone else is going to say you need a new engine, charge you probably 5 grand when the problem is a spring that cost 7 dollars!