DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Nervous about making the muffler switch (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=85794)

Red05Ram 06-26-2011 04:51 PM

Nervous about making the muffler switch

I have a Flowmaster 40 Series and love the sound, but from what i understand if i switch to MagnaFlow ill see a difference in power. What kind of difference should i expect? I hear about cherry bomb extreme, hows the flow compared to magnaflow? And hows WOT? Is MagnaFlow about the best for our trucks?

916Timmy 06-27-2011 05:11 PM

Not sure about the cherry bomb extreme, but I can see right through my Magnaflow..."flowmaster" not so much! And my full stainless steel mag will last as long as my truck does!

Here are the Cherry Bomb cutaway pics
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T4...w=1600&bih=744

GTyankee 06-27-2011 05:20 PM

I really don't believe you will notice a horse power or torque difference be those 2 mufflers, unless you are running at the drag strip with timing lights
just a sound difference, if you like loud exhaust get a shorter muffler, like a 14" Magnaflow

RansRAM 06-27-2011 05:50 PM

Well I have the flowmaster 40 and although the power feels about the same as stock (can't really tell the difference with my dyno butt :LOL:), I did notice a definite increase in MPG after having it installed. Increased MPG usually means better performance. Also the sound is amazing and that's not just me saying it as I get alot of compliments. Had it on for almost two months now and very happy with it. :smileup:

sporty11 06-28-2011 09:36 AM

just installed a 14" magnaflow on my '11 hemi, and when the shop pulled off the stocker they compared them on a bench test for the flow rate..
to the surprise of myself and the tech the magnaflow flowed only 10-15 cfm more than the restrictive stocker..

Stock = 1190 cfm
14" Magnaflow = 1205 cfm

As for performance i dont think much.. MPG, havent noticed a huge difference avg 17.1 mpg (calc by hand)

i like the magnaflow but if u looking for performance just a muffler swap isnt gonna give u much imo

cheers!

erm 06-28-2011 10:52 AM

The Magnaflow has been my choice on cars and trucks for a while after having Flowmasters rust out on me.

However, the sound of an exhaust is a pretty personal choice. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. In any event, I like the sound of the Magnaflow systems.

Performance gains depend on so many variables (temp, humidity, truck condition, other mods, etc...) that you can't just say it will get you a gazillion HP when you put it on and have that verified.

One thing to consider is that the internal combustion engine is just a big air pump...more air in + more air out = more power. So it's not just the muffler that makes a big change, it's intake, exhaust and programming that are the best bang for the buck mods when it comes to improving performance and, believe it or not, MPG.

So good luck with your mods!

TheSatinPumpkin 06-28-2011 11:04 AM

1190cfm stock? Geez

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporty11 (Post 557859)
just installed a 14" magnaflow on my '11 hemi, and when the shop pulled off the stocker they compared them on a bench test for the flow rate..
to the surprise of myself and the tech the magnaflow flowed only 10-15 cfm more than the restrictive stocker..

Stock = 1190 cfm
14" Magnaflow = 1205 cfm

As for performance i dont think much.. MPG, havent noticed a huge difference avg 17.1 mpg (calc by hand)

i like the magnaflow but if u looking for performance just a muffler swap isnt gonna give u much imo

cheers!

RamOwner 06-28-2011 07:44 PM

Like some earlier comments, I doubt you'll notice any real performance boost simply by replacing your muffler.

chefred112 06-29-2011 12:08 AM

but it's a piece of a bigger puzzle...it performs better the more mods you add..

Red05Ram 06-29-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporty11 (Post 557859)

Stock = 1190 cfm
14" Magnaflow = 1205 cfm

cheers!

If that's true maybe thats why the Flowmaster slows you down, cuz if i remember correctly Flowmasters dont flow as high as that