DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   waht is EGR and should I delete? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86278)

farmall 07-03-2011 08:00 AM

waht is EGR and should I delete?

Hey guys,
I have put in the DPF delete in and it appears to have helped my mileage problem. i have seen some talk about an EGR delete. What is an EGR? What are the advantages to disconnecting or deleteing? What is required to disconnect or delete?

Thanks

11Ram06Daytona 07-03-2011 12:22 PM

I cant speak for the specifics of whats involved in doing a delete on the 5.9L.

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. A portion of your exhaust (up to 20% depending on the engine) is put back into your engines intake to be burned again. This in turn reduces the amount of NOx coming out of the tailpipe and in turn reducing your emissions.

Stangshcky12 07-03-2011 12:41 PM

I'm hoping your have a 6.7l too because there isnt DPF filters or EGR on 5.9s

If your do your engine will run better and will be cleaner(internally) without the EGR
The EGR plates in a 6.7 were the most disgusting thing I've ever seen come out of a motor

11Ram06Daytona 07-03-2011 04:13 PM

I was thinking he bought a 07+ truck and hasnt updated the stats.

I think of EGR as forcing an engine to eat its own poop.

farmall 07-03-2011 09:42 PM

Sorry guys. I did buy a 2011 but I haven't been able to figure out how to update my profile. I have been learning a lot about changes people are making. i love the truck and have gotten rid of the DPF. It seems to have added about 2.5 miles per gallon but I would like to gain more if I can find it. That is why I was asking about the EGR. I didn't really know what is was for. Will the EGR delete help the longevity of the engine? Sounds like a bad practice (eating one's own poop)

Dooner 07-04-2011 02:57 PM

Since it is an off road only mod, does anyone make a delete that still looks like the factory equipment? If they can't tell, you can't get in any trouble over it.

Dooner 07-05-2011 07:28 PM

Did some digging and found some block off plates that retain the stock egr and cooler. Is this the way everyone is doing it (except for the racing guys)?

11Ram06Daytona 07-09-2011 09:37 AM

Programmers like H&S allow you to disable the EGR from functioning.

flaxbourton 09-04-2011 03:22 PM

I asked this in another thread, but since this is more focussed on the egr, I will ask again here. If you set your programmer to disable the EGR, I have read that you still should do the physical plate block. Is this true?

Also, to the OP, 2.5 mpg increase? This seems low compared to other feedback I have read. Do you have a tuner as well?

Sledneck 09-08-2011 08:50 PM

Its not a bad idea to still block the opening because those two butterfly valves will not always seal 100% so you could get some recirculation. If you dont want to get the tuner or plates and still get by, I pulled the wires from the egr and it fails closed. I noticed about 1.4 better mpg but I have a engine light. As soon as i put it back the light disappeared. It doesnt go into limp mod though.