DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Want to paint my chrome bumpers body color (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86337)

wedgeheaded 07-04-2011 01:12 PM

Want to paint my chrome bumpers body color

The local body shop says it won't work, maybe not. I figured to get them sandblasted then just paint them like anything else. Anybody here tried this? How'd it go? Any suggestions?

highlandchef 07-04-2011 01:29 PM

Sand blasting isn't the way to go. You want etching primer after a ton of sanding. Truth is it might be cheaper to find a swap or the pieces you need from a junk yard.

ArmyofOne 07-04-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highlandchef (Post 561585)
Sand blasting isn't the way to go. You want etching primer after a ton of sanding. Truth is it might be cheaper to find a swap or the pieces you need from a junk yard.

I cant disagree here. It WILL be cheaper. Chrome is not easy to just paint over. Cheaper/easier to find a sport your color totalled in the side and take the front/rear bumpers and stuff.

erm 07-04-2011 01:52 PM

It will be cheaper unless you find a chrome shop that will dip & strip your bumper of all the chrome. Then you just have bare metal to prep & paint.

justeric1agn 07-04-2011 02:05 PM

oh i paint for a living. you can paint chrome. just hit it with 320 and a da scratch it up real good and spray it with adhesion promoter first.bulldog is good. lol if you want to save the chrome just wipe it with thinner spray it with the bulldog. it will come off later and you can go back to the chrome. just stay away from the pressure washers.lol so it comes off in a year or two spray it again. i paint alot of chrome. its cheaper than re chroming. you can blast them if you want but a chemical solution to remove the chrome works better just add some volts and it will melt off. need the process i'll post it. just sand it sand blast it or whatever spray it with bulldog. looks great and is alot cheaper than re chroming. hope this helps.missed bulldogs post lol i have the proses you can strip the chrome at home with a bathtub.lol but blast them it cheaper.

justeric1agn 07-04-2011 02:14 PM

warning just like on the can don't spray that crap (bulldog) near any rats in california it will cause them cancer.lol

justeric1agn 07-04-2011 02:49 PM

sorry for the double posting trying to figure out how to work site.lol just a wanted to add if you have them blasted no need really but don't let them remove the nickel and the copper coat this wil rust proof the parts just get them to ruff up the chrome so the paint will stick.i'd jsut clean them with thinner and spray the bulldog on them so i could change my mind later.lol but a da with 320 will ruff up the chrome so the paint will stick. no need to chemically remove the chrome or sandblast. it just depends on how long you want the paint to stick. a perment solution will be a light sandblasting. a spay with the bulldog and it will be there. it will stay at least 5 eyars without doing anything but washing with thinner you can use ajax and a scuff pad to make sure it sticks if you want. they scratches that puts on will buff out the crome if you decide later you liked it bettter with the chrome. this also works on plastic parts.lol

plonka 07-05-2011 12:05 AM

Get it powdercoated. Mine is getting done right now. Most powdercoaters can do almost any color in matte satin or gloss finishes. Powdercoating is more durable than paint. My local shop is charging me $150.

Scott B 07-10-2011 04:31 PM

i also work in the body shop industry and paint chrome. its totally possible and not that hard. but the suggestions of finding a sport front end is what i wanted to do to alter the look of my front end. the cheapest i could find was a used front bumper with reinforcement for 300. so i guess it comes down to budget. i dont have the money so i might paint my front end myself. its next to free.

imlikeojnow 01-19-2013 06:52 PM

i painted a chrome bumper black and used wal mart rattle can gloss black paint. All i did is get an abrasion wheel for grinder and harbor freight and made the chrome as dull as i could, then hit it with a couple coats of sel etching primer then about 8 coats of paint and 4 coats of clear. i also wet sanded smooth between coats. came out nice and lasted for years 8 and going now.