DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Avoiding gas tank on exhaust existing before rear tires? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86543)

King433 07-06-2011 11:30 PM

Avoiding gas tank on exhaust existing before rear tires?

I would like to have my exhaust come out on both sides before the rear tires but in my truck the gas tank is in the way. Could I use flex pipe? Will it get too hot to be that close to the tank? Looking for easiest/cheapest way to get this done. Thanks for the help guys.

volcom54626 07-06-2011 11:48 PM

I wanted this done as well, but the shop that did mine said it couldn't be done, I dont know if that was just them, or if it really cannot. I am sure this does not help you out to much. Sorry.

GolfSIX 07-07-2011 01:52 AM

My Magnaflow exits before the rear tire on the passenger side. Don't know how it was done but it was. Magnaflow kit number 16868

snrusnak 07-07-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

My Magnaflow exits before the rear tire on the passenger side. Don't know how it was done but it was. Magnaflow kit number 16868
He wants it on both sides. The tank is an obstruction, but you could run the exhaust to the outside of the frame rail, and it would be fine, but you would have to either loop it up over the frame rail(PITA, which is why they said it can't be done) or run it under the frame rail(could be visible from far away and decrease ground clearance).

erm 07-07-2011 12:57 PM

Most dual systems for modern trucks run both pipes on the passenger side just for this reason.

What I'd do is to put in 2 mufflers and on the downstream end of the driver's side muffler, put in an elbow and send the pipe to the passenger side. Then run it towards the rear until you can angle it back towards the sides.

Or, if ya want, use a single in/dual out muffler.

You definitely want to give your Y-Pipe a good look to see if it is flattened or crimped. If you go true duals, then you can eliminate this pipe. If you go single in/dual out, and it's flattened or crimped, you can replace it with a better pipe.

King433 07-07-2011 12:58 PM

Just curious, what is PITA? Is that flex pipe stuff any goo for a quick section like over the frame or should I use steel? I am willing to use some jerryrigging and what not to get this done, but will the guys at the inspection station say anything about it you think?

King433 07-07-2011 01:00 PM

MADDOG, would angling the pipe backwards negatively affect flow?

erm 07-07-2011 01:06 PM

PITA = Pain In The Ass

What negatively affects flow is too many crimps, turns and corners in your pipe. So if you have a pipe running from front to rear and you put that big of a curve, bend or angle on it to reverse the direction of flow, flow will be negatively affected.

snrusnak 07-07-2011 01:20 PM

I'm not sure if that flex pipe is ok for inspections or anything, but IMO (in my opinion) I wouldn't use it, it doesn't last long before you get leaks. Pretty much any real exhaust shop could bend you a pipe to go over the frame rail. Doing it this way will garauntee it won't be seen hanging under the truck and won't effect ground clearance, it will have 4 bends in it though so is worse for flow, but won't really be that bad. What type of cab do you have, regular or quad...? Sounds like the best/cheapest thing for you would be run true duals just connected by a straight pipe (like an H pipe) and run over the frame (this will cost a little but you will be thankful in the end). this would give separate mufflers on each side.

snrusnak 07-07-2011 01:22 PM

A reputable/good shop most likely will not put in flex pipe for you as it's not very good.