DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Are performance mods worth it? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86809)

Greybeard52 07-10-2011 01:39 PM

Are performance mods worth it?

I have a 09 Ram 1500 4.7 l. I am on a trip pulling my new 18 ft. camping trailer. I have had trouble maintaining 65 mph and the AC is off. The guy at the trailer place said my engine should pull with no problem, but I don't think so. Are there mods I can do to get the torque I need to pull my trailer, or should I have gotten the hemi? I got a really good deal on my 4.7 l, so I hate to trade as I will take a $$ beating.
I love this truck, but I want to set the cruise, turn on the AC and not worry about making it up little hills, with the rpm's approaching 5,000.
Thanks.

erm 07-10-2011 03:06 PM

And you are in the hills there in Sheridan...not to mention the altitude you are at and have to cross going West.

One way to increase your power is to install what I call the "Big 3", a cold air intake, freer flowing exhaust and a programmer.

The internal combustion engine is just a big air pump. More air in + more air out = more power. Increasing airflow will make a performance and efficiency difference.

However, increasing airflow is not the end. Your truck's computer will learn and adjust a bit to the new parameter but it is limited. The programmer will set new parameters that will make full use of the change in the air flow.

After I installed my intake, exhaust and programmer; I saw a 4+ MPG improvement on the highway. The HP and torque (which moves the load) increased as well.

To see some real world dyno results of before and after the programmer install, see my Ram Mods link below and go to page 2.

Good luck!

Greybeard52 07-10-2011 07:44 PM

Thanks Mad Dog. Yes, I know about the Big Three. I have two Harleys also, with the Big Three done to both. I was just wondering if I do that to this 4.7L, will it pull up hills and mtns better. But I guess even if it doesn't, the Big Three are good to have when selling a truck to a prospective customer. I have the K&N filter in already. I think I'll go with the cold air intake from K&N, and either Magnaflow or Flowmaster for exhaust. Not sure which programmer to chose for torque. I've seen some on line that just plug into the system. I was averaging 8.4 mpg in the S. Oregon mountains yesterday. 10.4 mpg coming across S. Idaho the day before into a head wind and up and down hills. Maybe I'll get a few more mpg as well as more torque with a programmer. Otherwise. this 1500 is a great truck and everything I want. Looks good too!

snrusnak 07-10-2011 09:00 PM

You happen to have a vehicle that gets the biggest gains of any from a programmer. With superchips you will gain 50hp and 5o lbft of torque(max gain) (on performance tune), you would run the tow tune and still pick up alot of power. Other tuners are good as well, I just happen to have this one. I think this should be your first improvement, you will gain alot. With this you will be in the same power range as the last hemi. With my 4.7 even though it's only rated for 6,500lb towing, I wouldn't hesitate to tow 8000 lb.

Greybeard52 07-10-2011 09:09 PM

I looked at Superchip on line at Auto Anything (I think that's where I saw it.). It looks like an easy install. Just plug it in. Was your Superchip that easy? Seems too good to be true. Any particular one you recommend so I can get max torque?

snrusnak 07-10-2011 09:43 PM

Yes a tuner is very easy. I'd recommend either superchips flashpaq (yours would be # 3865 I believe) or a diablo sport predator. From what I understand, superchips is more plug and play, but they are both basically the same thing. You plug it into the obd2 port under your dash under your steering wheel and follow the instructions, you would select the tow tune for your application most likely, you don't want to tow with the performance tunes they have too much timing advance and could cause detonation and damage. This would be the one mod that you would really notice, you would be able to tell a difference.

Greybeard52 07-10-2011 09:54 PM

Thanks. I just joined this forum, but I'm saving money already with this good advice. My brother is having trouble with his Harley. I told him to go on the Harley forum so he can either fix his bike, or at least not have to tell the Harley dealer, "I don't know what's wrong so charge me a lot of money." :)

The Codes 07-10-2011 10:43 PM

it can be pricey but I from what i have gathered gear upgrades are pretty beneficial in not only towing but overall performance

snrusnak 07-10-2011 11:30 PM

^^^that's true as well, what gearing do you currently have in the rear differential? If you have something like 3.55's it would be beneficial for you to go to 4.10 or even 3.92. What issues is the harley having? What bike is it? I have a buell and my brother and father have harleys, and I have become somewhat knowlegable on the sportster/evolution engines. Maybe I can help...

Greybeard52 07-11-2011 11:00 AM

Gearing? Now that would be getting into a serious mod for me. I'll have to think about that. It has the stock gearing for an 09 Ram 4.7 Offroad pkg. I'd have to look it up.
The brother's Harley has a starter problem. But just last month the bearings on his front wheel seized at 65 mph. It's a 2010 Eglide. Looks like HD's quality control is going downhill again, like when they were owned by AMF.