DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Those of you who cut your rear coils (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86953)

snrusnak 07-12-2011 01:42 PM

Those of you who cut your rear coils

I know some of you have cut your rear springs, and I have some questions if you don't mind. I played around with swapping R/T springs into my quad cab (with almost no effect) and am now considering cutting the springs. My question is, since the top of the springs must sit "flat", and after you cut the spring it no longer has that "flat" top to the spring, how are you installing them. Are you just putting them up in the pocket of the frame even though they aren't perfectly flat at the top? I also noticed the R/T spring coils are wound tighter together at the top, whereas my quad cab springs aren't, and I'm sure I couldn't cut my quad cab springs and re install as they wouldn't even be close to flat at the top, but the R/T springs would be flatter. Any help thanks!

RedRam10 07-14-2011 10:02 AM

I wish I had an answer for you ~ at least I can give this thread a :icon_bump: !

snrusnak 07-14-2011 10:05 AM

Thanks for the bump! I would really like to have an answer, I assume people are just reinstalling them even though they won't sit flat. I've been riding around on RT rear coils this week, no difference what so ever compared to stock other than the driver side dropped .5", but the passenger side didn't lol.

RedRam10 07-14-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 568234)
I've been riding around on RT rear coils this week, no difference what so ever compared to stock other than the driver side dropped .5", but the passenger side didn't lol.

I wonder if the passenger side didn't seat correctly. They should have been level. As for cutting, I've got mixed feelings and probably wouldn't go that route. A good friend did that with his truck and ended up with a bad ride from the bumpiness of the shortened spring. He also had to buy new springs when he sold it as the new owner complained even though he had an "as is" on the sale.

snrusnak 07-14-2011 10:50 AM

They are seated, there really isn't much to how they lay in there. The bottom just sits over a "bump" or "nub" on the axle, and the top sits in about a 1/4" - 1/2" "pocket" if you want to call it that, but it is basically just set in there, with a rubber pad in between the frame and spring. I triple checked they're in correctly. It actually makes sense, as the RT springs are equal length and same part #, where as my stock driver spring was .5" longer than the stock passenger side spring and were different part #'s. I now wonder if the RT's sit level from factory...Also wonder if the stock reg cab springs are equal length, I'd love for someone with a reg cab (not RT) give me their part numbers...

RedRam10 07-14-2011 11:03 AM

Hopefully someone will be along that can help out.

dustin72 07-16-2011 09:43 PM

I cut my stock springs on my 2010 RCSB 4x4. I tossed the cut portion of spring, so I don't have the part numbers but they were the SAME part number left and right. It took 1 and a half coils to get it to sit where I wanted it. It now sits about 3/4-1 inch higher than the front. No noticeable difference in ride quality. The RCSB trucks are choppy riding to start and the cut coils didn't change it much.

snrusnak 07-17-2011 12:47 AM

Thanks dustin but what I'm really wondering is that since you cut them, the top part of the spring is no longer "flat", and am wondering did you just put it back in and it is ok? I just can't imagine how it could fit properly without it resting against the frame flat.

dustin72 07-17-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 569891)
Thanks dustin but what I'm really wondering is that since you cut them, the top part of the spring is no longer "flat", and am wondering did you just put it back in and it is ok? I just can't imagine how it could fit properly without it resting against the frame flat.

Once the weight of the truck is on the springs the upper coil kind of bends into the pocket if that makes any sense. There is at least 3/4 of the actual coil "wire" sitting in the pocket, so no issues to worry about. Been running it like this for a couple of months with no problems whatsoever. A few others have done it too.

916Timmy 07-17-2011 01:59 PM

Ottomax make 2" drop coils if you want to go that route!