DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Possibly swapping engines.. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86968)

TheManInBlack 07-12-2011 05:16 PM

Possibly swapping engines..

I have a 1996 5.9L V8 ram2500. Did a compression test on half of the valves and one is at 90, one at 100, and two at 60. The ones at 90 & 100 hold pressure, but the others don't. I have a mechanic that knows what he's doing, but wanted to know if I could swap the engine for a smaller one. Or, more specifically, one that gets better mileage. The only thing is, I don't want to rebuild this engine, or get one rebuilt from anywhere. Call me paranoid, but I'd prefer to get one that was used with less miles. (currently has 280k) The other issue I have is with reliability. I don't wanna swap to an engine with better mileage if it's known for breaking down a lot.

So I guess the short of it is. I want a reliable engine over a powerful engine. So could/should I swap to a smaller engine, or just get a used one of the same size?

Stangshcky12 07-12-2011 05:22 PM

I dont think a smaller engine is going to help your mpgs. Thats a big truck and alot of weight for someone who is concerned about fuel mileage, it'll just take more from the smaller engine to drive that truck

98redbull2 07-12-2011 11:02 PM

stang is right even if you put a 318 in that truck the mileage would be the same because the less horsepower is totin around more weight, and since when is 280,000 miles not reliable??? thats damn good!
put another 360 in your truck, theres plenty of threads on here on how to help with gas mileage, especially with the 360's.

The Codes 07-13-2011 12:23 AM

yeah from what I have gathered Magnum engines are really reliable engines, lots of engines with over 200,000 miles! Of course they require their fair share of maintnance...but yeah lol great engines

TheManInBlack 07-16-2011 08:18 AM

Thanks for the fast responses!

I wasn't extremely worried about gas mileage, but my father-in-law figured I should ask around to see how difficult it would be and if it would be worth it. Thinkin I will most definitely stick with the 360 then, and look through the forums for some of those threads on helping with mileage a bit.

Also. As far as all the other components, like the starter, alternator, water pump, and radiator. Should all of the old ones still be good? And if any one of them is going to go out first, which one is most likely? I don't wanna pour a whole bunch into a new engine and then end up needing to replace something else in six months that I could just replace now while I'm doing everything.