DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Massive hail damage, need help! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87088)

wyosmoke 07-14-2011 12:43 AM

Massive hail damage, need help!

Yesterday, in Cheyenne Wy, we had a mean hail storm roll thru and thrashed my 5 day old '11 2500, I am sure the hood is toast and the local dealer said they would have to "re-skin" the top. Also have dents in both fenders, all four doors and down both sides of the bed... State farm has a mobile adjuster coming tomorrow and I have been told they will cut me a check on the spot?!? I need help cause I have no clue what all this will cost. I tried to take the truck to a body shop and the local dealer to get a est but no luck on either. Any help, advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! thanks in advance.

strafen 07-14-2011 07:00 AM

state farm's been good to me in the past regarding this...

just stand firm, tell them what you WILL and will NOT go for... such as only genuine mopar repair parts, no aftermarket bs... no paintless dent repair, dont let them try to say they can add fender damage to the hood estimate etc, (ive had them try that!) and if the damage is enough that you think you want a new part such as the hood, tell them a WHOLE hood, not just the outer skin... just stand your ground, dont be afraid to get a lil rude (just not overdone) the bottom line is they work for you.... NOT the other way around, like they try to make it seem.

as far as costs, depends on your deductible, $100, 250, 500, 1000... all depends on your particular policy. some times you can talk shops into doing the work without giving them anything, they take the deductible out of the insurance check.

i have only dealt with one mobile agent, she was a bit** tried to tell me how much my truck was worth and that my bumper can be hammered out... but in the end, i got paid for a whole new bumper, mounts, shrouding, piece under headlights (this was all in my old ranger) and lol, the dent is still in bumper... the check went towards school.

and they do cut you a check right there. hail damage is an easy claim to go through, there is no having to guess if there is hidden damage under the area you see, tweaked frame, mounts, alignment etc, so they are usually able to give you a fair deal right then... just got to watch them for that paintless dent cra--i mean repair, or they will try to go for aftermarket parts. oh and dont let them try and tell you, that you HAVE to go to X shop or dealership to get it... they hand you the check and you go where you want, if you trust your local dealership by all means go, i havent found a good one around here yet, there are good ones out there... or go to a reputable body shop... but if they wouldnt give you an estimate, then i'd prolly look elsewhere... same for dealership.

good luck and sorry to hear about your truck, hail damage is ungodly painfull for me... i almost want to jump over hood to take some of it before it hits my ride... ive seen my share though, and just barely made it through. if it strikes on the Ram, im gonna hit the roof! im livin in an area that is prone to hail during any good rain... im seriously dreading it

GTyankee 07-14-2011 08:30 AM

just a note, if you read the warranty closely, it reads that they can use good used parts
they don't have to be new out of the box parts

Of course the part does have to match yours

If the hood is bad & you have thought about getting the Performance Hood
you might be able to add some $$ to what the insurance pays & have them install it

LUBINATOR 07-14-2011 03:28 PM

Hail

I have had good luck using swimming pool wall foam on my truck during hail. you can get 3/4' thick. I have my rolled up in the bed. I stretch it over the hood and roof and bungee it to keep it there with high winds. I also use it to line my bed when I put spillable items, dirt, stone etc. It is not expensive, you buy a roll 6 feet wide or more, and any length. I have 3/4 inch thick. Hail bounces off:smileup:

916Timmy 07-14-2011 03:50 PM

I just got hailed on....took it to a State Farm Catastrophe Center ( a closed down dealership) where they inspected it, and gave me a check on the spot....Mine wasn't as bad as yours by the sound of it, but still 1300 bucks. All paintless dent repair though.

CajunDodge 07-14-2011 03:54 PM

Oh that so sucks, really feel bad for ya but looks like what I would have said has been covered, so good luck and be sure to keep us posted!

- Cajun

strafen 07-14-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 568196)
just a note, if you read the warranty closely, it reads that they can use good used parts
they don't have to be new out of the box parts

Of course the part does have to match yours

true... but in cases like this warranty's do not apply usually... insurance has to pay for brand new parts, UNLESS the vehicle in question isnt worth enough value to justify, then used parts can be substituted.... or if new parts arent available. in this case, no one can justify putting used parts on a brand new truck.

and LUBINATOR, that is a great idea, i will def. check into that. thanks

erm 07-14-2011 05:34 PM

Why can't the body shop give you an estimate? And are there other body shops in the area? It would be prudent to get an estimate to compare to what the insurance company comes up with so you don't end up on the short end of the money.

RansRAM 07-14-2011 05:55 PM

Ouch that sucks, I hope you can get it all fixed up to your satisfaction.

916Timmy 07-14-2011 06:56 PM

If it's any more money than the original estimate, the body shop talks directly to state farm! And you can go anywhere you want to !