DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Feathering issues with Stock Goodyear Wranglers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87114)

Turbovsix 07-14-2011 11:03 AM

Feathering issues with Stock Goodyear Wranglers

For those of you that have had issues with the stock Wrangler HPs...

I'm getting a set of Cooper Zeon tires installed tomorrow at my dealership, and I'm having the truck lined up at the same time. I had the truck lined up at 10k miles for free by the dealer as I complained about pulling to the left.

Anyway, I have 37k on these Wranglers and all of the tires are feathered, but the worst feathering is on the driver's side front. Now, if the truck is lined up correctly, this feathering either happens because:

1. The tires are just plain crap.
2. Suspension is worn.

My truck is highway driven 99% of the time. We had a bad winter this past year, but I can't recall whacking any potholes or anything rough enough that would have caused me to screw up tie rods, etc.

For those of you that had these feathering/cupping issues, did you find the same issues when switching to another brand of tires? Was it alignment? Worn suspension components?

These coopers weren't cheap and I'm going to press the dealer to really check the suspension bushings and what not, but I can't completely trust that that will be done. Any thoughts?

Rich

rainhater1 07-14-2011 02:15 PM

Got rid of mine at 1200, best thing I have ever done, They are a POS:doh:

scmedic09 07-14-2011 02:30 PM

same thing happened to my HP's very bad cupping... dealer tried to say it was due to over inflation...anyhow, one was pretty bad and i got a free tire our of them :) cant believe here in NB they want 395 per tire for these POS...

Turbovsix 07-14-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmedic09 (Post 568373)
same thing happened to my HP's very bad cupping... dealer tried to say it was due to over inflation...anyhow, one was pretty bad and i got a free tire our of them :) cant believe here in NB they want 395 per tire for these POS...

Oh yeah, my dealer asked me "Are you taking corners too fast?" - I said man, if I wanted to take corners fast, I sure as hell wouldn't be driving this. Now why don't you go and decapitate yourself.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if there were possibly other issues contributing to this condition or if it was, in fact, mainly the tires to blame. See, I have issues keeping this truck lined up, and I just don't have a lot of confidence in the front end parts. Seems like alignment issues are all over the place on this board.

dauer53 08-10-2011 03:32 AM

I've only got 8500 miles on my truck and I'm beginning to notice the "feathering" on the front tires... I've been through a lot of tires on previous cars and trucks but I've never seen this before which makes me think it's simply the tire... I hated these tires on my 06 quad cab and now I hate them on my 11

Blackzilla 08-10-2011 01:07 PM

The feathering has gone away after the first rotation 29000 miles on these HP's no issue since......coming up on the 4th rotation......i got 54000+ on my 05 before replacing.

Pull Ya 08-10-2011 02:49 PM

I agree, these HP's are a POS!!!!!! They are the worst tires I've ever had on wet pavement, I have them rotated every 5k miles and they still cup and wear unevenly. I've had the alignment done 3 times since I've owned the truck and nothing seems to help these crap tires. Changing tires as soon as I can afford it.
Jay

BlackLaramie 08-10-2011 08:53 PM

My GoodYear Wrangler HP's were horrible! They have a 2 star review online as well. So I put some Cooper Zeon LTZ's on my truck on Monday and have already put about 300 miles on them and they are GREAT! No more pulling on my truck, so I know that was just the POS GoodYears.

Here's my Cooper's.
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89259

RedRam10 08-10-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull Ya (Post 587426)
I agree, these HP's are a POS!!!!!! They are the worst tires I've ever had on wet pavement, I have them rotated every 5k miles and they still cup and wear unevenly. I've had the alignment done 3 times since I've owned the truck and nothing seems to help these crap tires. Changing tires as soon as I can afford it.
Jay

:iagree:100%:smileup:

mlc317 08-14-2011 02:02 PM

When you say feathering and cupping, what exactly do you mean, and does this affect the ride of the truck and in what way, thanks for any help possible.