DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Forward Folding Rear Seats in 2011's (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87349)

Flat Spot 07-17-2011 07:57 PM

Forward Folding Rear Seats in 2011's

I read a thread not long ago where someone asked if you could fold the rear seats forward as well as up on the 2011 models. The answer was that in the 2009 - 10 models you could flip the hook that the seat latches on-to upside down. However, the 11 models don't allow you to change the hook. They are welded into place.

This weekend I installed two amps and LOC on the back wall of my 2011 1500, and installed a Fox Acoutics sub box for 10". The sub box came with a set of 1/2" spacers to lift the rear seats up. After doing this, I am able to fold my rear seats forward giving me easy access to the back.

I thought I would pass that on for others who might be curious.

BLKSPORTHEMI 07-17-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Spot (Post 570374)
The sub box came with a set of 1/2" spacers to lift the rear seats up. After doing this, I am able to fold my rear seats forward giving me easy access to the back.

So my understanding from this is that you placed 1/2" spacers between the seat frame and the floor board on each bolt. By doing this allows you to fold the rear seats down.
Question:
How does the seat fold down, is there a lever to activate this or do you just pull them down? If you just pull them down, I would think this would NOT be safe for rear passengers if a wreck happens?:4-dontknow:

If there is a lever, then I am game for this little mod!:Wow1::smileup:

Any pictures...even pictures of your radio speaker mod!

Flat Spot 07-17-2011 08:26 PM

You are correct. Remove the 18mm bolts holding the rear seats down, and place the spacers inbetween the floor board the rear seat brackets. The bolts are long enough to screw back down and tightly.

When you lift the bottom seats up, it lifts the back seat up as well. At the very top of this motion you simply pull a little on the back seat and it will come forward. You repeat the process to re-hook it back on. Push the rear back, lift on the bottom seats to pull up and at the top, and push the back seat into place and lower the bottom seats. The back will fall in to place. It's great and easy.

I haven't taken pictures of it, but can tomorrow if you still want to see.

16again 07-17-2011 08:34 PM

Would love to see pictures of this please. :smileup:

BLKSPORTHEMI 07-17-2011 08:36 PM

Awesome

This is great! I will being doing this mod next weekend. This was a great find for you and now me.:smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup:

One other question, the spacers were they made with rubber bushings or 1/2" solid steel washer?

Flat Spot 07-17-2011 08:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ask and you shall receive.

11Outdoorsman 07-17-2011 08:54 PM

im sold on this as well!

js1977 07-17-2011 09:40 PM

Man, that's cool. I never would of thought about this....

BBRam 07-18-2011 08:10 AM

Great info! Thanks for posting. :rep:

blackpearldodge 07-18-2011 02:09 PM

That's very useful information, and the ability to fold the seat is great!
I question whether it's legal though. Does anybody know if it would be illegal to do this modification?
I'd hate to see the seat be able to flip forward in a crash, especially when there is a passenger sitting in the seat! Insurance companies would have a hay-day with this one.

I'd like to do the mod...if it's safe and legal to do so.