DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Body & Interior (
-   -   Where to install airlift command and compressor (

hotchiliram 07-19-2011 12:04 PM

Where to install airlift command and compressor
Hello, I bought a Airlift 1000 for my truck and I also bought a Firestone compressor with single gauge.
I'm having a hard time figuring where can I install the gauge and the compressor, I don't want the compressor to be exposed to dirt, water, etc... so the engine bay is not an option, I was thinking inside one of the rambox but I'm not sure.
Where did you guys installed your compressor and gauge?

RedRam10 07-20-2011 09:21 AM

I haven't had experience with your needs but would think the rambox would work for the compressor. That'd be a great place to keep it from inquisitive eye's too.

hotchiliram 07-20-2011 10:03 AM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I'm going to install the gauge inside the center console.

snrusnak 07-20-2011 12:19 PM

I don't know how big the compressor is, but I mounted a small compressor for air shocks on another truck to the frame rail in front of the rear tire, I had full wheel well covers so it wasn't exposed to any road debri/rain/etc... (unless you do reverse burnouts...) I liked this option as it was completely out of the way...there is alot of space along the outer frame rails on trucks. I only had to crawl under and wipe some dust off of it about once a year, it really didn't get dirty hardly at all.

hotchiliram 07-20-2011 12:31 PM

Thanks, I'm going to install it inside one of the RamBox, I don't want to take the risk to have it where water, debri, etc... can catch it.

riggz 07-20-2011 02:49 PM

If you do install it in the ram box, you might want to make sure it is shielded from any other items that would be in there. Compressors can get hot if they are running a lot. Also I don't know how well the RamBox seals, but if it has a really good seal, you would need to run the air intake line outside of the box otherwise you would create a nice vacuum inside the RamBox and possibly burn out the compressor.

snrusnak 07-20-2011 02:55 PM

^^Good point. And also if the ram box leaks water in it could ruin the compressor. Maybe make sure the ram box can drain out any water that might get in...

hotchiliram 07-21-2011 09:02 AM

Excellent point, the Ram Box is pretty sealed, I haven't had a single leak in any.
I'm going to think again where can I install it, Maybe inside the engine bay?
Thanks for the Info. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Wildcat 07-21-2011 11:12 AM

I think you will be fine in your engine bay, If you look under your hood, most of what you see is just dust, which shouldn't harm the compressor at all, and most permanent install auto compressors can handles minor exposure to moisture. Plus you won't lose space in your Rambox.

snrusnak 07-21-2011 11:17 AM

how big is this compressor? picture maybe?