DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Exhaust & CAI Performance Issue?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87553)

Quiet Lunatic 07-19-2011 11:49 PM

Exhaust & CAI Performance Issue??

Just installed a Gibson Super Truck muffler and an AEM CAI and it seems as if the truck is hunting for a new fuel map. I'm hoping it's just adjusting fuel trim parameters (just installed both this evening), but driveability is awful right now. Anybody else run into this? 2008 5.7 hemi, it's just not responding to throttle input quite the same way as it was before mods. Thanks for any help!

ramrt1993 07-20-2011 12:03 AM

You might try unplugging the negative battery cable for 30 minutes so the computer adjusts to your new setup. Otherwise, just be patient and the computer should learn eventually.

916Timmy 07-20-2011 12:08 AM

AGREED!!!! You need to reset the PCM ^^^^^^^ so the truck will learn quickly!

I saw a thread somewhere that said to do this after:

Start it and let it warm up without toching the throttle at all....shut it off.

Next, start it again and let it settle into a low idle without touching the throttle....shut it off

Now, start it...let it drop to idle and do a quick easy drive around the block, no wide open throttle....shut it off when done.

Now you can drive it like normal.

Not sure where it came from, but I tried it on mine and seemed to work well.

Quiet Lunatic 07-20-2011 12:13 AM

Thanks, yeah, disconnecting the battery will reset short term and long term fuel trims, I'm aware of that, just wondering if that's really what the truck is doing. Forgot to mention that the AEM CAI came with a throttle body spacer, which I begrudgingly installed. I'm assuming it's in the kit to push the throttle body out a bit to make for a better angle on the CAI tube, because I know that a 1" spacer won't have any performance value.

916Timmy 07-20-2011 12:14 AM

If it was free...then awesome, I just don't know many people that will pay for one!

Quiet Lunatic 07-20-2011 12:24 AM

Not this cat lol... But I've heard a few hemis with one and they had a sharp chirp when the throttle opened, sounded alright. This one, however, doesnt chirp.

TheSatinPumpkin 07-20-2011 07:51 AM

Full PCM reset then put a few 100 miles on it for it to learn the adaptive's. Maybe add a 180 t-start to rich it up a little.

jdubsss 07-20-2011 11:00 AM

I'm sure you'll be alright. I noticed after installing my CAI my gas mileage has been inconsistent and moving up and down way more than usual. I don't want to reset everything with a battery disconnect so I'm just giving it time to figure out what's going on :]

RedRam10 07-20-2011 11:35 AM

:iagree: pull the battery at last resort.

Quiet Lunatic 07-20-2011 03:01 PM

Seems to be clearing up. I was pretty sure it was fuel mapping, just wondered if anybody else had run into this. Thanks for the replies!