DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Rear window leaking (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87729)

ramrod2185 07-22-2011 10:12 AM

Rear window leaking

it rained last night, when i got into my truck this morning took off about 2 cups of water dumped into my rear seat thru the back window. like the water track ways funneling the water right into my cab. as if the window wasnt even sealed.. anyone else had this issue?

that combined with it not always starting properly, the recall makes me thing all the rumos about dodge are true and i might hava bought the wrong vehicle

ramrod2185 07-22-2011 10:55 AM

just got the call my truck was gun.. the top seal on back window was non existant.. thsi really pisses me off >:/

snrusnak 07-22-2011 10:58 AM

Sounds like warranty issue....

My 3rd brake light was leaking, I just got it fixed last weekend, I have a write up I did on this site on how I fixed it. I was getting water at both rear corners of the cab at the very corners of the headliner. Not sure if this is the same issue you are having. I've also heard the sliding rear window can be shimmed or adjusted better to keep water out of the bottom slider track.

Nimz 07-22-2011 11:11 AM

I didn't make light of this issue on mine either when a Chrysler rep called me about a week after I drove mine off the lot.

I was done power washing it and opened the rear doors and noticed some had gotten inside too. She took down the issue and responded really well to whatever I had to gripe about.

ramrod2185 07-22-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 573789)
Sounds like warranty issue....

My 3rd brake light was leaking, I just got it fixed last weekend, I have a write up I did on this site on how I fixed it. I was getting water at both rear corners of the cab at the very corners of the headliner. Not sure if this is the same issue you are having. I've also heard the sliding rear window can be shimmed or adjusted better to keep water out of the bottom slider track.

the exact issue i had the rear corners of headliner. it was warrnt coverd it. they said they fixed it and water checked it.. didnt think to look at the bedlight how would i know if that is where it was leaking!?

snrusnak 07-22-2011 12:47 PM

Here's a link to what I did to fix mine:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....highlight=leak

Some others have used silicone to seal the lens. I didn't want to do that because I didn't want it "glued" to the cab, I wanted to be able to remove it when necessary. The dealer probably used silicone and did a crappy job.

Bootz 08-10-2011 10:04 PM

Leaks at the corners of the cab...

OK maybe my luck is just for chit BUT my 5 day old Sport Crew 4X4 leaked in the corner rear cab, the dealer told me there are issues with the 3rd tailight, ACTUALLY, thats the cover story, the leaks are from the roof seam, under the rubber strip running the length of the cab roof.
MAKE SURE you drop the headliner and sanitize the topside or you will grow mold, ALSO the water channels all the way to the front check the front carpet just below the dash and along the door edge, if its wet you need to pull up the rubber strip and shampoo and DRY the floor and carpet or it will grow mold. Lastly due to leaking roof, the hinges on the rear seats are rusting already!!!

Force them to re-seal BOTH seams in the roof, not just one, otherwise you'll regret it!

ya know this just sucks, my truck 5 days old and I only had it 2 days, cant wait to git r back

snrusnak 08-10-2011 10:24 PM

Not everyone has the roof seam leaks. They seem to be less common, the 3rd brake light leak seems to be very common...I fixed my 3rd brake light leak and haven't found a drop in the cab, front or back....I'm convinced mine is fixed. I also didn't drop the liner to dry thoroughly, I doubt I'll get mold, it gets air in there, for the little water I had coming in it should have dried out fine...If I start to smell something or notice it there, I'll drop it and clean up....

RansRAM 08-10-2011 10:53 PM

That sucks man, I hope they get it all fixed up properly for you.

Bootz 08-11-2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 587779)
Not everyone has the roof seam leaks. They seem to be less common, the 3rd brake light leak seems to be very common...I fixed my 3rd brake light leak and haven't found a drop in the cab, front or back....I'm convinced mine is fixed. I also didn't drop the liner to dry thoroughly, I doubt I'll get mold, it gets air in there, for the little water I had coming in it should have dried out fine...If I start to smell something or notice it there, I'll drop it and clean up....

You may be right that the seam issue is far less common. I am somewhat jaded on the issue. My wife and I bought a Grand Caravan new in 2004, and we had the same problem. After 3 trips to the dealership they finally relented and checked the seam, there it was, only problem left was they ended up replacing the headliner and carpet, we we're without the van for over a month. We kept that van for about 3 yrs.

So I return to a Dodge and this is my experience now with my Ram. It's very disappointing! Ya know my friends and co-workers are all praising how nice it is and 'it;s a great truck' and 2 days later I have to explain why its in the shop,...it would make me think twice about buying a Dodge especially at 40K.

I wish you well with your ride and hope you don't have any lingering issues due to prior leaks!!!