DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2008 4.7L - Single or Dual Exhaust? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88094)

ctroxell 07-26-2011 04:18 PM

2008 4.7L - Single or Dual Exhaust?

I'm new to the forums but pretty impressed so far. Seems to be lots of info out there. I haven't been able to find a thread with the answer to my question.

I have a 2008 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L in it, stock exhaust. I am planning to add an aftermarket exhaust but have heard differing opinions on whether or not this engine should have a dual exhaust or single exhaust if you're moving to aftermarket. A local exhaust shop told me the block was almost to small to push a dual exhaust and it could actually lose horsepower in doing so. However I have read a few threads on here where users have added a dual exhust to their 4.7L. Any thoughts on whether this motor should run a dual or single exhaust? I would prefer to increase my gas mileage if anything, while getting a great sound and an increase in HP as well. I will be adding a cold air intake as well. The exhaust I have been considering is the Flowmaster 50 Series 3". Any suggestions on brand of aftermarket exhuast as well? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

BigOrange 07-26-2011 08:30 PM

I believe running "true duals" is when you loose the bottom end power. If you want the look of a dual setup, just get a single in / dual out muffler. I've got a SI/DO Flowmaster Super 50 on my '08 4.7 with 2.25 pipes straight out the back & love the sound.

ctroxell 07-27-2011 08:22 PM

That sounds like the exact setup I am looking into. Flowmaster 50 Series 3" SI/ DO 2.25". Would you rate the sound as moderate or more aggressive? Thanks for the feedback.

BigOrange 07-27-2011 08:38 PM

I'd say it's moderate.... I actually run a 18 in. glasspack resonator installed in front of the 50 series to keep the cab noise down to a minimum. It's really to my liking now.... Quiet on the inside... nice rich, deep, & throaty growl on the outside! BTW my exact muffler is the Flowmaster Super 50 Series (SUV) muffler. It's one of the biggest case mufflers they make, but it's perfect. If you want the aggressive tone, go for the 40 or 44 series, but I'd personally recommend the Super 50 (SUV) muffler. I'd have the just the muffler & pipes installed first, and drive it around for a month or so. If it's to loud for you, just have an 18" glasspack installed in front of the muffler

Wbhard3029 08-01-2011 02:53 PM

thats not a bad idea to put that in front of it i might try that when i get my Flowmaster setup.

BigOrange 08-01-2011 07:51 PM

It really makes it almost stock in the interior.... don't get me wrong, you can still hear it inside, but it's just not intrusive. It's all subjective though... some like it loud outside and in!

Rammin 08-02-2011 02:27 AM

I put my Volant CAI on the truck and kept my single 3" exhaust for a week. Then switched to a cat-back exhaust because I wanted a louder and liked the look better. I actually lost some power out of it. It is louder and looks good but lost some much needed hp through the whole thing.

I am running a Flowmaster 40 series dual out the rear. Might go back to a single but can't justify re-spending the money again.

Mumauber 08-05-2011 11:57 AM

Dual Exhaust

I have an '06 Ram with the 4.7 Magnum. I love the stock growl my Ram has, but would like to have it growl a little deeper. Any suggestions that won't break my bank account? I am very new to aftermarket mods, since I've never had a vehicle I've wanted to mod, so please respond in a way that I can learn and understand please. Thx for any and all info.

snrusnak 08-05-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

I have an '06 Ram with the 4.7 Magnum. I love the stock growl my Ram has, but would like to have it growl a little deeper. Any suggestions that won't break my bank account? I am very new to aftermarket mods, since I've never had a vehicle I've wanted to mod, so please respond in a way that I can learn and understand please. Thx for any and all info.
You can buy a magnaflow 3" single inlet/3" single outlet muffler (check ebay, etc...) for less than $100, and just put it in place of the stock muffler. Crawl under the truck and check the pipe diameter in front and behind the muffler, it should be 3". The new muffler will be shorter so you will have to go to autozone and get a piece of 3" pipe also, maybe 1-2ft long, and some clamps. You can clamp it all on, someone else on here did this a while back, try a search I don't remember who it was. Very inexpensive, would cost you around $100.

Mumauber 08-05-2011 06:14 PM

Excellent

Thx for the info! This will help me get started!