DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Check Valves (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=88248)

camoman214 07-28-2011 07:17 PM

Check Valves

Truck is a 1996 Dodge Ram with the V6. The A/C blows out of the panel vents until I step on the gas, then it reverts to the defrost vents. I'm guessing that the vacuum lines coming from the manifold with the check valves are bad. It looks like there are several check valves and vacuum "t's" coming off the manifold vacuum hose. Can someone send me a picture of their vacuum check valves and routing so I can make sure I get the correct replacements. On my truck they are located on the passenger side of the firewall.

Thank ya

ramvan2500 07-31-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tractorerik (Post 578410)
Truck is a 1996 Dodge Ram with the V6. The A/C blows out of the panel vents until I step on the gas, then it reverts to the defrost vents. I'm guessing that the vacuum lines coming from the manifold with the check valves are bad. It looks like there are several check valves and vacuum "t's" coming off the manifold vacuum hose. Can someone send me a picture of their vacuum check valves and routing so I can make sure I get the correct replacements. On my truck they are located on the passenger side of the firewall.

Thank ya

I can tell you that it is certainly a vacuum leak but to be 100% sure just do a quick vacuum test it would be wise anyways cause then you can find out if their is any engine problems not that I am saying their is but you can kill two birds with one stone. Anyway's I don't think it would be check valve I don't remember any magnum's coming with check valves the vacuum leak you might be having it probably under the dash or by the T'S that is in front of the engine hidden behind the alternator, I don't have any pictures to show but to make it cool just check every vacuum line you can find, don't confuse the EVAP with the vacuum lines.

camoman214 07-31-2011 11:08 PM

Do you know what the vacuum readings should be?

I thought there were several vacuum check valves, but I'm probably wrong.

ramvan2500 07-31-2011 11:11 PM

For a normal engine meaning no leaks it should be between 17-22 In Hg. I do know you should expect the needle to be at around 20. I don't believe their is any check valves, the only thing that checks for vacuum or pressure is the MAP sensor, everything else old fashion.

sonocativo 08-03-2011 01:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I had the same problem but it wasnt a vacumm related issue, mine was the little plastic thing that the accutator arm goes to broke so i drilled it out and installed a bolt/nut. but the silver canister next to the gas pedal is what controls that flap for the dash/defrost flap, check to see if that vac line is loose/cut/broke going to the back of that canister. It is just above the gas pedal towards the right side when you look up under the dash. Here is a picture of it.

camoman214 08-03-2011 10:43 AM

Where was this actuator arm of yours that broke?